Marc
Marc , Handyman
Experience:  Plumbing, Heating, and home maintenance contractor
50715266

I have can lights in ceilings of my home , insulation is shifting

Customer Question

I have can lights in ceilings of my home , insulation is shifting down thru them into my rooms how can I stop it?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Marc replied 3 years ago.

Marc : Hello and thank you for using our service. I will assist you today with your question to the best of my ability. DO NOT RATE SERVICE UNTIL COMPLETED
Marc : this is a common problem especially with blown in insulation and if there are problems with squirrels and such in the attic or high winds and much air circulation within the attic.
Marc : Obviously you will need to be careful what to place around the cans to prevent this from happening.
Marc : Due to fire danger or danger of melting products you will need to be careful of the product used. You have a couple options.
Marc : Some people have siliconed the can trim into place to seal it up. I am not a fan of this. Yes it works, however come time to remodel or replace then its adhesion is too much and it will cause further damage. So, I would consider going into the attic and wrapping the can with fiberglass insulation which will keep the blown in insulation from getting through to the gaps.
Marc : Fiberglass will not melt or burn and will work the best in your situation.
Customer: thanks