Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

Hi,I have a tenant and they got something stuck in the garbage

I have a tenant and they got something stuck in the garbage disposal. I loosened it with a long stick and it started running again. However it wont switch off now and I had to unplug from the electricity.

Rick : Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue
Customer: thank you
Rick : You most likely have a bad switch. Since you have a switch on the wall not in the disposal there is nothing in the disposal that contrls the power to the unit only the switch controls the power
Customer: the switch on the wall has two small flips for two cabinet lights and one large press down switch that turns garbage disposal on and off. the lights work
Customer: how can I replace it?
Rick : I can't tell from your description if your wall switch is a standard switch. Do you have any experience working on household wiring?
Customer: not really
Rick : Then you should call an electrician or even a handyman with some wiring experience to replace the switch
Rick : You shouldn't mess with this if you've never done it before
Customer: standard flat panel switch/ press the top to turn on and the bottom to turn off
Customer: ok thanks. you are sure it is the switch?
Rick : Based on your description it's the most likely culprit
Customer: Thank you Rick have a great day