The Home Smithy , Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
3079445

We just had new granite installed in our house. When looked

We just had new granite installed in our house. When looked under natural light from a certain angle the surface appears to have splotches on it that makes it looks like it has not been cleaned properly. The installer came to take a look and says that it is the look of natural stone and the way light is reflected off it. I expect my granite to have a shiny mirrored look from all angles. Please advice.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 3 years ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer.

Just to confirm, this is natural stone from a quarry, and not manufactured stone?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes natural stone

Color is white with gray patterns and occasional specks of purple and silver jewels in it.

Victoria, any natural stone is going to have flaws in the stone. This can result in small pits in the surface, but they can be filled with epoxy and granite dust to conceal them.

The rest of the surface should be polished to a high shine.

Blotchy looking surfaces should be polished out to be even with the rest of the counter top.

For an experienced counter man this is an easy fix.

Please let me know if you hav any other concerns.

Best, Smitty

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The problem is that the installer feels that this is not a problem. They say that it is something I am going to have to live with. The house is new and still under warrantly by the builder but the company they used to install the granite are saying that this is due to the flaw of the natural material.

I don't agree with their explaination.

What should the next step be.

Iam in agreement with you. This isnt right. Flaws should be polished out before delivery of the product.

Your next step should be to contact the general and voice your concerns. They will be able to address your concerns.

Unfortunartely if they will not give you satisfaction then your next course of action would be to speak with an attorney.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Based on your expert opinion, is this a problem that you have come across and can this problem be fixed easily.
Who can I call upon to give me an unbiased trueful opinion without trying to charge me for extra services which I may not need and may not help vs just blowing me off.

I am not interested in applying another sealer or someone trying to sell me a polishing or buffing product just to put on the surface of the granite.

Based on my research if polishing is to be done, it requires a diamond polishing pad and it is quite labor intensive and requires a skilled person. Is that correct.

If you want the best and most unbiased opinion you should contact a NACHI approved home inspection service. They will come out and provide you with a written report on the counters, and anything else you may have concerns about.

They will remain completely neutral and have plenty of experience. Most are former contractors and builders with over 20 years in the trades.

If you would like me to see who the nearest inspection company is please provide your zip code.

Yes, the process is labor intensive if the surface is rough. Yours just needs a little more honing and a polishing. Maybe just a polishing will do.

If the company that comes out to do the repair doesnt have at least a dozen or so diffrent grinding disks, and doesnt make a big mess in your kitchen then they are not worth their salt.

Granite finishing is a progressive process. You start with a heavy grit and work down to a grit that would probably polish out a scratch on your smart phone screen.

All in all it shouldnt take more than a day if that to do the job.

I did a resurfacing for a Lady about a year and a half ago. As a novice it took me two days to get her counters shinning like a drill seargents jump boots.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok our zip is 77479

Can you please also provide with a granite polishing company/restorer that you would recommend for the same zip code

Here is the link to a well established inspection company in your town.

Please click here

There are many inspectors in the outlieing area also.

Please click here for a complete list of NACHI approved inspectors.

Here is a list of the restoration companies in your area with reviews by customers.

Please click here.