Steve G., Handyman
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company and home theater advisor.
329447

I do have a woodworking planer with a motor 5hp 230V 3phase

I do have a woodworking planer with a motor 5hp 230V 3phase 60hz going to a 380v 3phase 50hz power supply just want to know how could I make this motor work. I heard I could use a VFD, but which one should I use?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

A VFD can make small voltage adjustments but to go from 380V to 230V you are going to need a small transformer.

I see you are in the US. How do you have a 380V feed?

Let me know so that we can continue.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i bought the planer here in the US and sent it to europe, the power is 380v 3phase bt i guess 220v 1phase power could come from it as well

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
Yes the Line to Neutral voltage of a 380V 3 phase system is 220V but you need three phases don't you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I found a VFD with 220v 1phase input 50/60hz and 220v 3phase output, would this work fine? would the planer lose any HP power with this application? the planer is 5hp so is the VFD

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

If you can tell me the make and model of the VFD, I will check. Usually, you derate the VFD for single phase applications.

That was going to be a suggestion but I am not aware of one that works at 5HP.

Let me know so that I can check it for you.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

It's a brand I have no experience with but it indicates it will run your motor with single phase in, three out.

I say go for it. The price is insanely cheap for a 5HP drive.

I'll be here if you need more help/advice/information.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

great!!do you think it would work fine, with no loss of HP power? would it draw more energy? I heard running a machine at 220v 1phase would use more energy? or it would not matter since we would use a VFD? I'm just new at this.After this I guess I would be done, thanks again Steve for your time

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

5HP is 5HP regardless of the voltage. Energy is the same but the current will be higher on a single phase feed.

At 220V single phase the drive is going to need about 28A plus some for the drive. You should provide a 2P40A breaker with #10 wiring to the drive if it is not too long a run. Use #8 if the run is over 50'.

You can use #12 conductors on the three phase side.

I'll be here if you need more help.

Steve

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I see, cost efficiency wise it would be the same as running it at 380v 3phase right? I'm concerned about having to pay more for my power utility bill. Let me know please.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

No, you won't pay more. 100 watts at 12V is the same as 100 watts at 1000V. Watts is Watts and HP is HP.

Your amps will vary and therefore you may have some increased costs associated with wire size and breakers but other than that, you will have no increase in costs of actual energy used or if you do, it will be negligible.

If you would, please rate my service today using the smiley faces or stars that appear right here. It is the only way I am compensated by this site so please consider clicking on one of the better ratings :)

I thank you in advance.

Regards

Steve

Steve G., Handyman
Experience: VP of electronic repair company and home theater advisor.