Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP

My garage doo opener will go up with the remote it will only

My garage doo opener will go up with the remote it will only go down if I keep the pad depressed 

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today.

Sounds like the safety sensors are the problem either due to a blocked path between the safety sensors, condensation, mis-alignment, dirty eyes, loose wires at the sensors or at the motor head, or just bad safety sensors. When the infra-red safety sensors are malfunctioning, usually one of the sensor lights will be blinking or a blinking red light will show rather than green or amber. The sensor lights need to be solid and not dim or flickering, especially while the door is closing.

When the sensors are at fault, the remotes cannot close the garage door; they can only open it. You may find that the door will only move an inch or so in the close direction. When this happens, your garage door will ONLY close by holding down on the wall button until the door fully closes, since this method is the only way to override the safety sensors and close the door. This is also a direct clue that the safety sensors are the problem.

To align them, loosen the wing nut and adjust until the light is green or amber and solidly lit. Clean lenses, check wiring, etc. as described above.

If you are satisfied with this answer please leave me a positive rating at your convenience.