Brian
Brian , Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

I have a 1/2 Hp Craftsman garage door opener that I just replaced

I have a 1/2 Hp Craftsman garage door opener that I just replaced the worm gear. Now when I open the door it works fine , but when I try to close it you have to hold the opener until it closes completly. I tried to adjust the down force so the arm bar didn't buckle up and that seems fine. Any suggestions?
Regards
XXXXX XXXXX
Truro Nova Scotia Canada
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Brian replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today.

Sounds like the safety sensors are the problem either due to a blocked path between the safety sensors, condensation, mis-alignment, dirty eyes, loose wires at the sensors or at the motor head, or just bad safety sensors. When the infra-red safety sensors are malfunctioning, usually one of the sensor lights will be blinking or a blinking red light will show rather than green or amber. The sensor lights need to be solid and not dim or flickering, especially while the door is closing.

When the sensors are at fault, the remotes cannot close the garage door; they can only open it. You may find that the door will only move an inch or so in the close direction. When this happens, your garage door will ONLY close by holding down on the wall button until the door fully closes, since this method is the only way to override the safety sensors and close the door. This is also a direct clue that the safety sensors are the problem.

To align them, loosen the wing nut and adjust until the light is green or amber and solidly lit. Clean lenses, check wiring, etc. as described above.

If you are satisfied with this answer please leave me a positive rating at your convenience.
Expert:  Brian replied 3 years ago.
Mike, How did it work out? Anything else you need help with regarding the opener? If not, please rate my answer and have a great day.