Rick
Rick , General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

We are putting a roof over our existing patio, it is in the

We are putting a roof over our existing patio, it is in the corner of 2 sections of our house(southeast corner). The north side is a new addition and is 9 ft tall, where it would attach on the other side is appox a foot taller. We have decided to attach to the north and slope south as we have a bay window on the north side and would run in to it if we attached on west side with slope. We are going to use steel roofing. My husband is trying to figure out how to prevent leaks when he attaches it to the house. Would he need to use flashing and go up a few rows of shingles or do you have a better idea?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue

Rick :

The roofing needs to be flashed where it meets the walls of the house. Along the slope you would have to strip the siding so you can flash it at least 6" above the roof surface. Since you are using steel roofing what is typically done is a color matched piece of the same material is custom bent in a L shaped and run the length of the slope from top to bottom

Rick :

the bent piece is laid down first then the roofing is set on top and the seam where the roofing and flashing piece meet is caulked with color matched urethane caulking

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX let my husband know and see if he has any other questions

Rick :

You're welcome