Brian
Brian , Plumber
Experience:  16 yrs. experience as plumber, including full bathroom and kitchen installations.
63187465

I am installing a shower on a low pressure water system. can

I am installing a shower on a low pressure water system. can an electric shower be run from a socket which is 240 volt or does it need to be run back down to the fuse box.
If so I don't have anywhere to put it and would need a larger fuse box. I have a normal old potterton boiler downstairs and the bathroom upstairs with a header tank in the loft. would it be better for me to just put in a pump or change the boiler or get a power shower. I am a single woman parent and need to do which is most efficient and economical. tks
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Brian replied 3 years ago.

emianplumbing :

NO!!!!!!!!! Please never run an electric shower of a plug socket you will more than likely burn your house down. the wires in normal sockets are not thick enough to take that current and WIILL catch fire.

emianplumbing :

You must come from the fuse box with an rcd protected supply with cable suitable for the power supply needed to run the shower.

emianplumbing :

Or you could get a power shower which is ok to put into a plug socket but should have rcd protection, the same with a pump

emianplumbing :

You can buy quite reasonably priced power showers I am just checking out some prices for you, Do you have a budget in your head for parts

emianplumbing :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX the way sorry I had a panic when I see your question and didnt introduce myself

Customer:

no budget in my head just seeing what would be the easiest way to connect a shower when I have low water pressure

Customer:

hi Brian tks can you tell me the difference between an electric shower and a power shower. Also I have a very old potterton boiler and I have been advised that since I may have to replace that at some time it would be better for me to just get a combi boiler and that would solve the problem. It's all going over my head I'm afraid

emianplumbing :

Dont worry I will try to explain. but Im left handed so forgive my brain lol

Customer:

tks

emianplumbing :

An electric shower heats up cold water directly from your mains supply (kitchen cold tap) the electricty heats the water as it passes through.

emianplumbing :

A power shower uses the hot and cold water from the tank in the loft and immersion cupboard. the electric is used for a little pump inside the unit.

emianplumbing :

A pump is a pump lol and uses hot and cold from tanks

emianplumbing :

If you are going to have a combi boiler installed you cant have a power shower or pumped shower. a combi boiler uses the mains supply (kitchen cold tap) as your source of hot water. a bit like the electric shower described above. the reason you cant have a pump is because it is illegal for you to pump mains cold water.

emianplumbing :

how have I done not to left handed I hope

Customer:

great tks very much