Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

sears craftsman garage door opener model # XXXXX

I have a sears craftsman garage door opener model # XXXXX which was working when i used the remote to open it theen when i tried to use the wall button to close it it would not work. both of the sensor lights are a solid green light the light on the back of the unit flashes 5 times and stops for a couple seconds then flashes 5 times. so what could be the problem? do i need new sensors? is it an easy fix? or should I call a repairman?

Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Brian replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today.

If the door is stuck open, verify that the trolley is not stuck on the bolt located near the motor unit. If it is, simply dislodge it from the bolt and reset limits to stop the trolley before it hits the bolt.

5 flashes means that either the motor has overheated/ stuck or the RPM sensor needs to be replaced. You would need to first, unplug the unit to reset and then plug back in. Then try to operate the opener and check for any flashing lights. If the unit still flashes 5 times and the motor unit moves the trolley 6-8 inches, replace the RPM sensor. If motor unit does not operate, the unit has overheated again. Wait 30 minutes and retry.

If it still doesn't operate then you will need to replace the logic board.....unfortunately it will cost around $70.00 (average price). If the opener is older than 10 years I would recommend spending that money towards a new opener. On the plus side, today's opener technology is better and safer.

PLEASE READ: Your final rating of my answer carries a lot of weight. It effects my overall ratings and I am dedicated to give you the most accurate and complete answer possible, based on the information you provided me. Please rate my answer fairly and if you are not satisfied with any part of my answer, please let me know so that I can clarify and have you leave here satisfied with your experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Brian,

so i guess it sounds like i need to replace the entire opener, because i have done the unplugging and resetting a couple of times and it just does the 5 flashes again so sounds like the logic board and since it was manufactured in 1995 sounds like best bet is new opener. i have looked at a few at home depot have not checked out sears any thoughts on which brand would be most bang for the buck? Do you think it would be a easy project since all the framework is in place or should i have a garage door guy do the install?

Expert:  Brian replied 3 years ago.
Yeah, sorry...it sounds like a new opener is the best way to go. Depending how confident you are at doing self-home projects, you could certainly do it yourself. They come with detailed installation instructions and you basically are just installing the opener and sensors and wall button. The door, tracks, spring, metal hanger for opener will all be reused.

All of the openers are pretty good these days. I tend to lean towards the Liftmaster or Craftsman. They are reliable and the mid-range priced ones are fine.
Brian, Architect
Experience: Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP