Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

Sears Craftsman 1/2 HP Garage Door Opener: There is power

Customer Question

Sears Craftsman 1/2 HP Garage Door Opener: There is power to the unit and the green lights on the safety sensors are on. When we press the wall unit or the remotes, we hear a click, followed by a second click a second or so later. However the motor doesn't run. When this first happened, the door was in the closed position. The lights on the unit come on when we press the wall unit buttons or the remote, but the unit only clicks as stated. When it is pitch dark in the garage we can see a faint flash of light at the unit, the flashes about a second apart, but we have not tried to find out where that is coming from. Thanks for any help you can give us.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is Brian and I will be helping you today.

Sorry to hear about your opener problem.

Verify that the trolley is not stuck on the bolt near the opener, eventhough this typically causes a humming noise and not a click.

Unfortunately, a clicking noise typically means that you have a defective logic board. They are highly sensitive to power surges/ outages from electrical storms. They average around $70 for a new one. If your opener is older than 10 years old I would recommend putting that money towards a new opener.

In the future, you can purchase a surge protector, made for garage door openers, to protect the logic board.

Sorry for the bad news.

If you are satisfied with this answer please leave me a positive rating at your convenience.
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.
George, anything else you need help with regarding the opener? If not, please rate my answer and have a great day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Trolley is not stuck on the bolt near the opener. Verified.

Are you saying there are no diagnostics or anything that I can try to verify the problem? Does the first click, followed by a second one mean anything? The flashing light that I mentioned - any meaning?

Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what the dim flashing light is. From the symptoms you described though, it sounds like a bad board, mainly the clicking noise and no movement.

The board can get spots where the solder connections get burnt. I have heard of others looking the board over to find the burnt connection and resolder themselves....sometimes they fix it.

There is no way to really test the board....it is like the heart of the opener....like a computers mother board.
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Brian, I guess I have to have a garage door maintenance call. I will respond back to you after that. George

Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.

Ok. They will most likely find the same problem, but if that makes you feel more comfortable, then by all means do that. Good luck with it and let me know how it turns out. Have a great day.