Daniel, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Expert in electrical & mechanical design, troubleshooting, and problem solving
47322625

I have a Craftsman 1/2 HP garage door opener that will open

I have a Craftsman 1/2 HP garage door opener that will open with both the remote and console but will not close unless you override the console by pressing and holding the touchpad button. If you press the touchpad button once, the door will move 3 to 6 inches and and reverse itself to the fully open position. After the door reverses and stops the lights on the motor unit will flashes 10 times. What could be the problem?
XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and welcome to Just Answer.

I see some time has gone by on your question, do you still need help with this?

Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes,

When the door is in the open position, the lights on the door opener stay on continuosly. When the door is closed, the lights go out in about 4 minutes.

Thanks,

XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
OK, does the wall pad have a vacation mode button? If so check and make sure this is not activated.

Let me know and we can go from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My control console does not have a vacation mode button. My console has an up-down button, as well as a light button and a lock button. I have tried many combinations of these buttons to no avail. Do you have any more suggestions?

XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
OK, lock button is the "vacation lock" that I was referring to. If it is not on what you have here is indicative of an RPM sensor failure on the unit. To have someone come out and replace this should run you around 75 dollars.

Let me know if you need further clarification.
Daniel, Electrical Engineer
Experience: Expert in electrical & mechanical design, troubleshooting, and problem solving
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your help. Your solution is beyond my capabilites, so I will cal a repairman.

Thanks again.

XXXXX XXXXX