Brian
Brian , Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

How do I remover shutters on my home? I am going to try and

Customer Question

How do I remover shutters on my home? I am going to try and paint my shutters.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Brian replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my name is Brian and I will be helping you today.

Shutters are typically just screwed through the siding with 4 or 6 screws. Remove the screws and the shutter will come down.

If you are satisfied with this answer please leave me a positive rating at your convenience.
Expert:  Brian replied 3 years ago.
Mike, anything else you need help with regarding the shutters? If not, please rate my answer and have a great day.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how do I remove the plastic round things

Expert:  Brian replied 3 years ago.
I'm not sure what you are referring to. Are they collars for the screws?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

they are plastic screw locks. I see how to remove. I have read to replace with new I need to use a 1/4 hole. Question I the orginal install wouldn't they have drilled holes? What do I do if the holes are bigger than the locks screws? Are there larger screws?

Expert:  Brian replied 3 years ago.
You should cut the shutter lock behind the shutter to remove the shutter and buy new shutter locks to reinstall. Typically they are installed into the plywood with a 1/4" hole. You can just push the remaining plastic piece into the wall to give you the 1/4" hole back for installing the new shutter locks.

If you have trouble pushing the old ones into the wall, you can use a 3/16" drill bit to drill them out, giving you the 1/4" hole back.

They don't make a larger shutter lock so if the 1/4" hole becomes larger for some reason and cannot hold the new shutter lock then you can use an exterior wood filler, let it dry and then drill a new 1/4" hole.
Expert:  Brian replied 3 years ago.