Martin, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Design, construct, fix and grow stuff around and in the home.
14666028

you dont seem to have a landscape expert so this is a general

you don't seem to have a landscape expert so this is a general question. I hv several pine trees in excess of 100 ft that are being killedbyrapid growing ivy I have alreagy lost 2 of the biggest in 3 yrs. Is there a way to kill the ivy without completely removing it?

Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Best,

Gina~Moderator

Hello. The best method is mechanical removal.

Depending on the kind of pine, you may have some success if they have long needle as you could rake them around the tree in tick ring to create a barrier.

You could pole-saw most of the branches to get more light and then plant second generation trees that would produce a denser cover to remove light on the ground (oaks, maples). Old pine tend to be very poor at producing shade.

As a last resort you may try Glyphosate.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Im not understanding your answer very well. These trees are long needle in very dense forrest that gets very little sun light to the ground if any. I do not know what a tick ring is. Are you saying that ivy needs more sun to grow? What is glyphosate? and what does it do?

Glyphosate is what compose "roundup", an herbicide. http://www.scotts.com/smg/goprod/roundup-concentrate-poison-ivy-killer/prod70320/
Note that it work better if it touch wounded ivy, meaning you have cut them first. It is what is called a systemic poison. It enter the plant and kill it up to the roots (something mechanical removal only do with seedling).

Long needle good (some like jack pine are too small to be useful). You can rake the needle into a tick mulch around the trees so that the ivy have a hard term to grow there (as ivy is mainly a problem around the trees, not between them.

Yes ivy will grow more with more sun. The forest may seem dense but pine are one of the less shade producing trees. Ivy can still grow well in shade you if you want to reduce them by shadow it need to be very dark in there. Sometime the trick is to get more light into the place so that other plant can start and compete with the ivy.

War with ivy is like using antibiotics, once you start you must not give up or slack until the end of the treatment.
Martin, Electrical Engineer
Experience: Design, construct, fix and grow stuff around and in the home.