Martin, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Design, construct, fix and grow stuff around and in the home.
14666028

I have a two story house. The front of the house has a covered

Customer Question

I have a two story house. The front of the house has a covered porch so I can exit the second story window and walk on the roof. I only have two soffit vents. I took those covers off and the baffles are compressed/blocked. I would like to push a new baffle, flex pipe up through the insulation to create the preferred air flow path on the exist and add more soffit vents and do the same. Installing from inside the attic is really not an option. Do someone make a flexible product that can be forced up through the insulation between the 2x 6(8?) in the roof?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Martin replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome. The first thing that come to my mind is French drain black plastic pipe (those are flexible to a certain point and cheap).
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

After I posted this, I went back to HD and found InvisaFlow StealthFlow 28-1/2 in Downspout Extension. I am going to get up on the roof tomorrow and see if it will go through the hole, threw the insulation, and provide the flow path.

Expert:  Martin replied 3 years ago.
Those seem a bit flat (meaning not much airflow) unless you saw more squarish ones. I guess this is what you mean:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/InvisaFlow-StealthFlow-28-1-2-in-Downspout-Extension-4620/202516218

You could put more than one by hole but i guess it could be simpler to insert round drain tubes (perforated or not would not really matter).
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will be back on the roof tomorrow and can see whether what you suggested will work. I am not sure that the French drain pipe will fit through the rectangular hole in the soffit or whether it will be strong enough to force through the insulation. I'm not sure what I picked up will work either. The insulation at this point seems to consist of some type of stiff heavy blanket, not just blown material. As always with these projects, nothing is ever as you would assume. I'll take a picture tomorrow. Today - I get to drive 7 hours (up and back) to spend time with my mother-in-law.

Expert:  Martin replied 3 years ago.
If this is some kind to fiberglass bat you may need a reciprocating saw to dig in or 2 crow bar that you insert and spread apart to create a path. In any case as you said, nothing is ever as you would assume :)