Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.

I want a plain flat deck about 15x15 built behind my garage.

I want a plain flat deck about 15x15 built behind my garage. It needs to be even with the threshold of the door. The problem is that the ground slopes toward the building.

Will the ground need to be excavated in order to make the deck level? What would be a range of what it might cost to have this built out of plain treated lumber?

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue

The deck can be set on piers to level it off so you won't need to do any excavating provided the grade 15' away from the building is at least 2' lower than the threshold. Cost depends on where you live since labor costs can vary quite a bit around the country. But here in the Boston area a deck of this size with no railing would could about $3000 (labor and materials)