Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.

Water seeps from the grout between the marble shower tiles.

Customer Question

Water seeps from the grout between the marble shower tiles. There are large marble wall tiles and small marble tiles on the floor - double the size of standard mosaic tiles.The condo building is almost 2 years old. I sealed the tiles and grout before the shower was used first. The single tenant living in the condo since new dries the shower with a towel after each use. He has not used the shower for 6 days and the grout is still seeping a little in the corner joints. What is going on, what can I do to stop this seepage and how can I stop water from getting behind the tiles in future? There are no visible moisture marks on the walls backing onto the shower. The grout and marble tiles have just been sealed again by a handyman and I have asked him to remove the new silicone in the joints to allow the water to drain faster.  I was not aware of the seepage issue before the handyman gave me feedback after finishing the application of the sealant so I do not know how long this has been happening.Thank you for your attention. Christine

Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help with your issue

The most likely place for the water to be seeping in behind the tile is where the walls meet the floor. This transition should be caulked with silicone caulking. You can use either clear or a color matched caulk if one is available. Assuming the shower was installed properly water getting behind the tile at the floor won't cause any damage since the shower pan under the tile is made to handle this water and channel it to the drain. If the tile is otherwise properly grouted then caulking this seam and the vertical corners of the walls should stop the seepage.

Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.
SInce your tile is alreday installed there is nothing else you can do aside what what I suggetsted short of tearing it out and starting over. If you have more questions I'll do what I can to help but I'm sorry I can't change the reality of your situation.