The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
3079445

I have a Kenmore gas water heater thats almost 9 years old.

I have a Kenmore gas water heater that's almost 9 years old. Water is being released through the T&P valve sometime after the heater starts cycling. It's maybe a cup of water. I turned down the temperature to the lowest level which seems to help a little, but the water is obviously not as hot. The heater has a 9-yr warranty for leaks/rusting out but that's not the problem. There's only one anode rod. It seems like the pressure's building even though the temperature isn't that high. Is there something I can do to increase the heater's life or am I looking at replacing it?
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer.
The pressure pop off valve (T&P) is bad. If you have turned the temperature down and the valve is still leaking then just replace it.
As for replacing the unit as long as it is not making any gurgling, or boiling noises just after you use the hot water you are good to go.
If you are hearing noises like that then the unit has a lot of sediment in it and should be replaced.
Please let me know if you have any other concerns.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The valve isn't leaking. I'm pretty sure it's releasing pressure when the heater cycles on because there's no leaking when the heater isn't cycling on. I'm wondering if it's a pressure problem.

The heater will develop a little more pressure when it is heating the water, but it is not that much.
Excessive pressure that you need to be concerned about will cause your faucets to spit, or spray water out the nozzle faster than normal. The pop off should go off well before that though.
Replacing the pop off will resolve the problem.
Please be sure to rate my service before you log off. Thank you.