Barry G.
Barry G., Handyman
Experience:  I have done many jobs in the home. From installing ceiling fans to garbage disposals. I know a little about a lot.
11179659

craftsman air compressor will not start. power ok. used

Customer Question

craftsman air compressor will not start. power ok. used yesterday.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer.
Does the unit humm and then kick off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No it does nothing and makes no sounds.

I am sorry but I do not have the information you require. I will opt out and another expert may be able to assist you.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no help

Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

Do you have a voltage meter available or can get one?

Are you comfortable removing covers and testing power on the compressor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a voltmeter and know how to use it. I have previously measured voltage at the junction box on the compressor and it reads 121 volts. The unit is receiving power.

Can you measure both sides of the pressure switch and see if power is going to the motor?

The power cable connects to a set of contacts inside the wiring box on the pressure switch.

When pressure falls in the tank, the contacts close and apply power to the motor.

If the contacts are not closed, you can close them manually very carefully to see if the motor runs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can see one of the contacts from an opening in the side of the switchbox and I can see that it is closed and that it reacts to cycling the on-off lever on the side of the switchbox. If there are other contacts, I cannot see them without desembling the switchbox.

In order to determine if power is passing through the pressure switch, either the pressure switch must be opened up to measure and check contacts or the motor is opened and check power to the motor.

Can this be accomplished safely?

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will disassemble the switch and take a look. Be back in about an hour.

Ok, thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well, when I removed the 4 screws connecting the switch box to the coimpressor, the interior parts,( spring, cam, contact plate, etc) all moved from their suspended locations and it will be like putting a jig saw puzzle together ( hip bone connected to the thigh bone, thigh bone connected to the shin bone, shin bone connected to the ......). Not sure if I can eventually get it back together. Not sure where to go from here.

It should have a cover that allows wiring.

If it all fell apart, it sounds as though something happened to the internal parts?

Pressure switches fail and have to be changed out from time to time and that is why they are removable.

Not sure why yours has fallen apart.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The cover was removed earlier in this exchange. To get to the contacts to make any measurements, I had to remove the switch assembly and when I did, internal parts moved from their interconnected confiruration and I dont know what the correct interconnection of the parts are. I may have left the impression that it just fell apart ....it didnt. All parts look good, they just have to fit in a certain configuration. The parts I am referring to are not hard mounted, but rather sorta interleave.

Ok, thanks.

It should still stay intact to wire etc, and access to the wire lead connections is normally a little easier.

I looked for your model to take a peek, but they are no longer available anywhere since being obsolete with no replacements, so was unable to see one.

I am sure another unit would be compatible, it is all about the connections to the tank and pipe fittings on the switch.

Electrical all works the same.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wire connections are still intact. I knew better than to take it apart, ....but I did. I will continue to try and configure the parts to their right positions. So I will sign off and consider this a good try but no success.

ok, just post if you need anything further.
Thanks