Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I have a exterior concrete question.I have a fairly recent

Customer Question

I have an exterior concrete question. I have a fairly recent poured driveway and garage floor. This was done in the summer of 2012. In the fall I sealed the driveway as it was exposed aggregrate. I live in Canada and where I am located, we get harsh winters. Should I have sealed the garage floor? This was not exposed aggregrate, just a flat finish. I coated the floor with an epoxy paint designed for garage floors from a paint store in the fall. As I inspect my garage floor, I am noticing minor chipping on the entire floor. Little chips about the 3/4 the size of a dime. As well some big chips where the garage floor meets the driveway. I am very upset over this as it was a lot of money to get this done. Are these little chips normal? The driveway appears to be fine.

Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue

I'm sorry to hear about your paint failure. I'm afraid chipping is not normal. The cause could be due to inadequate curing time for the concrete. While concrete cures to full strength in 4 weeks it can and often does (depending on site conditions) take as much as a couple months more for all the moisture to leach out. The failure could also be due to cleaning residue left behind during the prep work. Also a highly polished/troweled floor can have poor adhesion. And no you shouldn't seal a concrete floor that will be painted with epoxy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply. I had it poured in July and painted in September.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
That probably was enough of a wait but it's always best, as a precaution (with a "new" pour) to tape a piece of plastic sheeting to the floor (~3' square) and leave it for a couple days. If the floor under the plastic is damp in a couple days then all the moisture in the concrete has not leached out. The other possible causes I mentioned are just as likely