Dr. Fix-It
Dr. Fix-It, Handyman
Experience:  Work on all parts of home construction & maintenance
2926636

The following is in a townhouse which has the laundry facilities

The following is in a townhouse which has the laundry facilities in the middle of the second floor. I installed the vent for an electric clothes dryer using smooth metal pipe straight up through the wall into the attic where I mounted it just below the ridge vent. There is a distance of about 9 feet from the joists to the ridge vent in the attic.

Is there any risk or issue you see with this installation?

Or would you recommend that I add a 45 angle to the vent pipe and run it to the soffits. From the vent pipe in the wall to the soffits there is a distance of about 15 feet.

Hi I am Dr.Fix-It, Your online expert ready to assist you...

`

It is a hazard to vent the hot lint air into the attic and would cause excessive heat build up in your attic, so yes would suggest place the 45 degree and run to the nearest vent or can go straight up through the roof and install a cap over the shingles.

`

Have a look at illustrations below and let me know if have any concerns, thanks.

`

graphic

`

graphic

`

Dr-Fix-It-Advise.com