Rich
Rich, Home Improvement Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 35 years construction and home maintenance experience

We currently have a stucco "swirl finish" on the exterior of

We currently have a stucco "swirl finish" on the exterior of two apartment blocks. We would like to change this to a "sand finish". The condition of the existing stucco is good, we would just like to change the colour and get a smooth flat finish.

Does anyone know of any other (cheaper) way apart from refinishing with another layer of stucco? Any paint that might fill in the swirls to give a flat finish?

Many thanks.

SO
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Gina-Moderator replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Best,

Gina~Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can continue to wait for the remainder of today.

Hello Ollie:

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.

Best,

Gina~Moderator
Expert:  Rich replied 1 year ago.

Hello .. Rich here

do you still wish to chat about this project ?

have you gotten estimated to paint the buildings ? to compare the costs of the labor involved ?

how much area are you talking about covering in this project ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Rich.

Labour for painting and stucco (marmaran) are about the same $13-15k for both buildings.

The total wall sft is 15k.

Material cost for stucco (marmaran) is $20k - (Accrocrete S10 or similar)

Material for acrylic paint is $4k

Trouble is I cant find a paint which will cover the "swirl" and make a flat "sand" finish.

Expert:  Rich replied 1 year ago.

OK .. so the biggest difference in cost is the stucco material

let me check on other materials and get back to you

at first thought

I do not think that we are going to find a paint that will completely fill in the swirls on the first application

I am thinking that you will have to have something troweled on to completely fill the swirls and give you a flat finish

I guess the next thought is .. how flat a finish are you looking for? how much of the swirl can you tolerate showing thru the new finish ??

Expert:  Rich replied 1 year ago.

one more thought .. that stucco is a premixed product , I think

have you thought about mixing a sand and mortar mix skim coat stucco on site ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good idea, am meeting one of the contractors in 20 mins so will ask about mixing a sand and mortar mix then just painting on that.
Expert:  Rich replied 1 year ago.

I seem to think a ton of sand mixed with the mortar mix, like 3 or 4 bags, would cover about 4000 sqft in a skim coat

I was also thinking about having a sand texture sprayed on like they do a popcorn ceiling and then have it troweled smooth obviously not a heavy popcorn texture .. but a sand finish type stuff

the guys in this area use a squeegee to knock down the texture finish

Rich, Home Improvement Enthusiast
Experience: Over 35 years construction and home maintenance experience