Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers ASAP
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today.Please try the following test:
Press and hold the wall button and see if the door will close.
Tried it before. It stops frequently, closes less than 1 foot. If I try press too many time, the motor power will go off (light goes off), power comes back after couple of minutes.
Bill, The 6v does sound good...it should be between 5-6v at the opener. The low reading at the sensors is not good.Since both sensor lights are out this is saying that the sensors, or the logic board or the wiring to the sensors are the problem. Sometimes the wires get corroded at the connections and you could cut, strip and reconnect the wires to the sensors. You could also have a short if a staple has worn through the wire.
If one or both sensors are blinking, the sensors are misaligned.
If one of the sensors is out, the door sensors typically need to be replaced.
If both sensors are out, the problem is typically a bad logic board or bad sensor wiring. You need to look closely at the wiring, to the sensors, to see if it they are broken or pinched by a staple. You can test the wires with an ohm meter for continuity or two wires shorted together.
If the wires appear to be good, remove the sensor wires from the terminals on the logic board and check for voltage across terminals 2 and 3 on the logic board. If you have 4-5v you will need to replace the sensors. If you don't have 4-5v between terminals 2 and 3 and the opener is plugged in, the logic board is bad.
Hi Bill,The logic board is good if you are getting the 5.7v at 2 and 3. The sensors or wiring is the culprit and that is good news....less money to fix.The flickering is telling me a loose wiring connection or that the sensors themselves are not securely attached and wiggling. They need to be secure so that they don't move and disrupt the beam signal.I would think about replacing wiring and/ or sensors if they are already securely attached.
Thanks Brian. I'll try to replace sensors first. The wires are in the wall, hard to replace them.
Sounds good. I think you will find that replacing them will fix your problem. If you don't mind exposed wiring, just abandon the existing wiring that is buried in the wall/ ceiling. Good luck with it.