Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP

What is the minuium requirement by code on space between countertop

What is the minuium requirement by code on space between countertop and bottom of cabinet in Sun City, AZ?
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today.

Is this residential or commercial?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's at 14 1/4" which we thought was very small.
There are no code requirements unless it is a cabinet above a stove top, but there are industry standards.

Typically upper cabinets are installed around 18 inches above the counter top, but there is no code that says they have to be at that dimension.

14-1/4 inches is pretty tight and could be uncomfortable to work with or fit appliances under. You could raise them, but like I said earlier there is no code that requires them to be raised.

PLEASE READ BEFORE RATING MY ANSWER: Your final rating of my answer carries a lot of weight. It effects my overall ratings and I am dedicated to give you the most accurate and complete answer possible, based on the information you provided me. Please rate my answer fairly and if you are not satisfied with any part of my answer, please let me know so that I can clarify and have you leave here satisfied with your experience.