The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience

im trying to delete all the codes from my craftsman garage

i'm trying to delete all the codes from my craftsman garage door opener. It's a model #(NNN) NNN-NNNN and uses a yellow button to program it. i've held this button down but the learn light does not turn off so I'm not sure what to do

Rich :

Hi. Do you have a remote that was working to tell if the code has been wiped out ?

Customer: Yes I. Have two and both are still working so the cods have not been wiped out
Rich :

How many buttons are there on the side of the door opener ? is there a red button ? .. are there instructions on the label on the side of the door opener ?

Rich :

do the opener and the remote have dip switches

Rich :

what model remotes do you have ?

Customer: No dip switches I have a craftsman remote and a chamberlain key chain remote
Rich :

OK ..

Customer: There is one yellow button and a red learn light
Rich :

The instruction are like this Start by clearing all the codes on the opener. To do this press and hole the "learn" button until the LED next to it goes out (about 6 seconds). Now no remotes should operate the door.

Now program in the first remote. Press and release the "learn" button and within 30 seconds press and hold the button on the remote. Continue to hold the remote button until the lights on the opener blink. Do this same thing for each additional remote.

If you're still only able to get one remote to program that means one of the remotes is bad. It's a "radio language" fault that causes one remote to work at a time but it's the remote doing it, not the radio built into the opener.

Let me know how this turns out.

Customer: I 'be already done that. Both remotes work the problem is that after I programmed the second remote the door started opening for no apparent reason. I live in a town house so it may have picked up another signal. I need to clear out all of the old signals and reprogram
Customer: T.
Rich :

Start by clearing all the codes on the opener. To do this press and hole the "learn" button until the LED next to it goes out (about 6 seconds). Now no remotes should operate the door. that shouild have cleared all the codes .. maybe a neighbor has a remote with a setyting close enough to yours to activate your opener

Customer: Honestly what I am trying to tell you is that I've held that button down for over a min and the led never goes out.
Customer: I have done that. I've held that button down for over a minute and the led never goes out
Rich :

sorry .. sems like there is something wrong in the opener did you try and unplug the opener for a few minutes and see if the control board would reset ?

Customer: Yes, now I have two identical openers and neither one will clear the codes so I don't believe it's a bad circuit in the opener.
Customer: Maybe we should try a new expert that is more knowledgeable about older Craftsman openers.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I can wait I would really like an answer

We will continue to look for another professional to assist you.

Thank you for your patience,
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer.
Many of the older models used capacitors to retain the settings in case the power went out.
Try unplugging the unit and pressing all of the buttons on it for at least 10 seconds each. That should drain any capacitors and allow the unit to reset to factory specs.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well that didn't do it but I feel youre on the right track. there has to be a way do delete the old codes. I unpluged it pressed the learn button for 30 sec than I pressed the hard wired button for thirty and even pressed the remote button for 30 but after I plugged it back in the remote still worked.

If that didnt clear the codes then I am sorry, but the unit will have to be replaced. Draining the voltage from the system completely should cause the unit to reset everything to factory defaults. If that doesnt happen then something on the main board is faulty. More than likely a component is not providing a complete path to the component that stores the code information. It could be a bad solder link, blown resistor, or many other things. It would require an electrionics engineer to track it down, and they charge more than the unit is worth to do that.

Unfortunately the best option is to consider a new unit.

Sorry for the bad news. I wish it could be better.

Best, Smitty

FYI: I looked up the main control board to see if it was still available. Unfortunately it is not.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
On both units?

?Surprised? There are two of them doing the same thing? Hmmmmm!

Do both units use the same remotes and key pad?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes no keypad just two remotes
Okay. 2 units, 2 remotes, code will not reset.
Question. When you press your remote do both door open?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No each remote has three buttons so it only opens the door that it is supposed to.
The problem is that one door is opening when it shouldn't I think it caught a signal when I was programming the new remote.

Well it isnt a matter of reprogramming the unit to the remotes. The remotes shoulf set a different code each time.

The problem is that the main control unit is not changeing the code it is set to because it cant. It is set to a preset frequency.

Unfortunately with the older units the manufacturer set multiple units to one code and made sure that they didnt ship the units with that code to the same area.

Problem is when the new rolling code came out there were a lot of old openers that would respond to the signal because it was on the same freq that it was.

The actual frequency that your unit opoerates on can not be changed. The codes that are transmitted are not actually codes but radio frequencys.

When the remotes are programmed they scan for the frequency that is being used. IUf that frequency is being used by anotherr unit then the only option is to get a unit that does not use that frequerncy.

This is the case here. It isnt a matter of code learning or unlearning. The frequency that your unit operates on is that and only that. If you look on th emain board you will see a tall oval tin component with writing on th weside that has something like 103.22MHZ.

That is the frequncy that your unit operates on. Change that component to one like it with a different frequency and your problem is solved.

All the newer units have rolling codes that they use to eliminate this problem.

The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience: #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience