Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

My daughter is taking out her carpet, and wants to put in laminate.

My daughter is taking out her carpet, and wants to put in laminate. She has a Great Dane,
a Golden Retriever, and a very tiny dog all which shed hair year around. She has natural maple cabinets throughout her home. She has slate floors in her kitchen, dining room, and walking area surrounding her family room now with carpet.
She has black granite counter tops in her open kitchen off the family room area. The slate on the kitchen floor is with browns towards the reddish tones, olive greens and some rust. What color laminate should she go with? She would rather not go with a light colored laminate like her natural maple cabinets. She also has charcoal 12" gray tiles surrounding her fireplace in her family room. She likes the plank look instead of the narrow traditional
style flooring. I would most appreciate your expert advice because we're fear full of
making a giant mistake!
Thank You,
Lynn Swanson
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today.

I would play off some of the existing colors such as the kitchen floor slate so that the new floor compliments the existing floor(s). The wood flooring could be any shade of brown and have hints of rust or the olive green, for example. Another option, with shedding dogs, is the hair will show less if you keep the colors close to their hair color.

If you are satisfied with this answer please leave me a positive rating at your convenience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Brian,

What's your feeling about the floors being so much darker than the

natural maple cabinetry? I know that things don't always have to

match these days, but am still worried about that.

Lynn

Hi Lynn,

I don't see any problems with the cabinets not matching the floor. More often than not they don't ever match.

I think dark floors are nice also...it appears more expensive. The only downfall is the dog hair will show more easily.