Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP

I am trying to set up my new garage door opener remote. I

I am trying to set up my new garage door opener remote. I do not have a old one. What do I do?
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today.

Do you know if you have dip switches or a LEARN button to use for programming? If not, can you please provide the model number off the motor unit?

If you are satisfied with this answer please leave me a positive rating at your convenience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The model number isNNN-NN-NNNN/p>

Serial number 3912A02390

The remote I purchased 53778

This is an old unit and I am having trouble locating a manual. Please give me a few minutes to find one.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Chad,

I am not having any luck finding the owners manual for your opener. So it is hard to determine if you have the correct remote. From my findings though, I do know that your opener and accessories are no longer available. The remote that is recommended for your opener, and it is actually a conversion kit, is located at this site (click here.)

If you have dip switches you would open the remote and on the inside of the remote you will find 8-10 little dip switches that can be turned on or off, and the same set matching on the back of the motor unit. You simply match the switches exactly to program the remote.

If you have a LEARN button on the back of the motor unit, you would press and hold this button for 6 seconds to erase all codes. Then press the learn button again and then press the button on the remote within 30 seconds.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There are no dip switches on the motor unit itself and there is not a learn button. The sales guy at sears said this is what I needed. I will return and go from there.

Yeah, I'm not so sure he is right. I've seen this happen so many times where the guy at Sears guesses what you need.

I'm seeing that you need the conversion kit that I gave a link to earlier. There is a link at the bottom of that site to get the compatible remote for the conversion kit.