Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

hi, what is the proper yeast and water mixture to put down

hi, what is the proper yeast and water mixture to put down your drains? Also what is the best way to kill a bad odor coming from kitchen sink with no disposal?

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue

Rick :

The best way to kill the odor is to partially fill the sink with very hot water then add a couple cups of bleach then let it down the drain. I don't know why you would want to put yeast down a drain

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was told by my septic pump co. to mix 1/2 cup of yeast to a gal of warm water and put it down a different drain every mon. to keep pipes clean. Now I find that a lot of people do this regularly but it seems everyone has a different ratio to mix. Maybe the ratio doesnt matter. My girlfriend tells me she has always only used 2 tbl spoons to a gal. I was hoping someone actually knew the right ratio and chemically what it does.

Well I've been doing this for 40+ years and this is a new one on me. I don't see how this would make any difference except perhaps to boost the bacterial action in the septic tank. Normal usage will keep your pipes clean. But even that is unnecessary. I'd follow the advice of your septic guy if you want to do this but I don't see the point. There are also a lot of additives (like Ridx) that people recommend but it's been shown that they are a waste of money. I've had a septic system for over 25 years and other than getting the tank pumped I haven't done anything else and it works fine. And I watch the guy when he pumps the tank