Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

Garage Door Open:Sears Model 139.53641SRT Seriel #32655CO1

Garage Door Open:
Sears Model 139.53641SRT Seriel #32655CO1 027
Unable to close door with remotes. Will close only when keeping the wall unit pressed.
Have tried unpluging and repluging electric cord. Have Changed coded on remotes.
Have not used electic eye units.
Green light flashes.

Door will open when using remotes and wall unit.

Why do remotes or wall unit not open door? (wall unit does not work when pressed and relesed.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today.

Sorry to hear about your garage door problem.

This sounds like a problem with the safety sensors; either due to a blocked path between the safety sensors, condensation, mis-alignment, dirty eyes, loose wires at the sensors or at the motor head, or just bad safety sensors. When the infra-red safety sensors are malfunctioning, usually one of the sensor lights will be blinking or a blinking red light will show rather than green or amber. The sensor lights need to be solid and not dim or flickering.

When the sensors are at fault, the remotes cannot close the garage door; they can only open it. You may find that the door will only move an inch or so in the close direction. When this happens, your garage door will only close by holding down on the wall button until the door fully closes, since this method is the only way to override the safety sensors and close the door. This is also a direct clue that the safety sensors are the problem.

To align them, loosen the wing nut and adjust until the light is green or amber and solidly lit. Clean lenses, check wiring, etc. as described above.

If you are satisfied with this answer please leave me a positive rating at your convenience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Brian: Sorry, I was called away last evening. Did not return till after 10 PM. Thanks for your reply.

Have completed items suggested. Same problem. Door does not close.

As a follow up I tried the following:

(one comment; Senors have not been wired in for over a year)

I re attached. Senors show green lits.

Disconnected power to/from wall unit. Same problem.

Disconnected door from chain drive. Door moved freely up and down.

Disconnected emergncy outside key use. Same problem.

Checked all wire to/from for shortare.

Do not know what else to try.

Rich

Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rich,

Not a problem about lastnight. You just reply when you can, I'll be here.

The opener is designed to not work without the sensors. But now that they are hooked back up, having to hold the wall button until the door closes is a direct clue that the sensors are the problem.

If you are sure that they are aligned, something is still telling the opener that they are not. Whatever is telling the opener the false information is what you need to find and unfortunately it will take some process of elimination.

Verify that the green lights are solidly lit and do not flicker when you try to close the door.

My initial guess is that the sensors and/ or the wiring to the opener are defective or shorted. If this was my opener and problem I would start by replacing the sensors and the wiring to the opener. This is the least expensive option.

If this doesn't fix the problem, you most likely have a burnt solder connection on the logic board. Unfortunately a new logic board costs around $70. I would recommend putting that money towards a new opener if your opener is older than 10 years.

PLEASE READ BEFORE RATING MY ANSWER: Your final rating of my answer carries a lot of weight. It effects my overall ratings and I am dedicated to give you the most accurate and complete answer possible, based on the information you provided me. Please rate my answer fairly and if you are not satisfied with any part of my answer, please let me know so that I can clarify and have you leave here satisfied with your experience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can not be the sensors since they were not hooked up.
Can not be wiring to the opener since it is a diret grounded plug in.

Therefore it has to be the logic board.

Suggest you buy another opener, if present one is over 10 years old.

Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.
I don't understand the part of not using the sensors. The openers are designed to not work or at least not close without them. Are you saying the door was working fine without them?

The wiring I was referring to is the wiring between the sensors and the motor unit.

It could be the logic board but I like to try the least expensive options first.

Yes, it makes more sense to purchase a new opener rather than a new logic board if the opener is older than 10 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the door was working fine without the sensors. I had disconnected the sensors from the motor unit over a year ago.

Agree with suggestion to buy new motor unit or a complete new garage door opener.

Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.

Wow....that is really odd. I have never heard of a door working without the sensors. Makes me curious now, how it could have worked.

Well I'm glad you've decided to get a new opener, and please use the sensors....they are a safety feature....it would be a terrible thing if the door crushed a child or pet.

Good luck with it! And have a great day!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well Brian, I have two of them, and up until now they were both working fine.

I agree, they should be hooked up.

Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.

That's interesting. I'm going to do some research on that. Good luck with it Rich and if you have any other questions that come up, just reply to this thread.

Brian, Architect
Experience: Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP