Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

would it be safe to plug my a\c in the same plug as my fri

would it be safe to plug my a\c in the same plug as my fridge?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue

Rick :

Probably not. If your frig compressor and AC compressor come on at the same time you'll probably trip the breaker even if your frig is on a 20 amp circuit

Customer:

is there any other tricks i can use plug ins are at a premium here

Rick :

There are no tricks really. The frig and the AC must be on separate circuits.

Customer:

and i can't have more put in

Customer:

how do i find out what is one what circuits

Rick :

This is best done with 2 people. Plug a lamp into the outlet with the frig turn the lamp on then go to the electrical panel and turn off the breakers one by one until the lamp goes out. Mark that breaker as Frig and turn it back on. Then got to another outlet that you might plug the AC into and plug the lamp into it. Then turn the frig breaker off again. If the lamp doesn't go out then that outlet is not on the same circuit as the frig

Rick :

One person with the lamp and one at the panel unless you can see the lamp from the panel

Customer:

okay what if it just me, and the panel is downstairs

Rick :

Then you'll be getting a lot of exercise running up and down stairs to check the lamp. Just Kidding. Plug a radio into the outlet instead of a lamp and turn it up load so you can hear it from downstairs. When the music stops you've found the right one

Rick :

sorry for the typo> turn it up LOUD

Customer:

sadly i don't have a radio, lab top kind of person

Rick :

Well those are the more or less readily available options. If you have enough extension cord(s) you could plug the lamp into the cord and put the lamp where you can see it from the panel. Otherwise your only other option is doing a lot of stairs if you don't get lucky and find the right one right off

Rick :

do you have any more questions?

Rick, General Contractor
Experience: Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.