Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

I am sinking a mirror (like a cupboard) with shelving behind

I am sinking a mirror (like a cupboard) with shelving behind it into an existing bathroom wall. The drywall is now removed, however I now have to remove the existing 2x4s as well. How do I remove the 2x4s without damaging the back of the drywall "behind" it? The other wall leads into the dining room!! What's the best tool for the job?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today.

I would definitely use a reciprocating saw with a brand new wood blade. It will be the fastest and least destructive. Just go slow near the end when you start to hit the back of the dining room drywall.

If you do accidentally go through, you will only have to do some minor spackling with drywall compound and then touch up with paint. You will most likely have to do some minor repairs anyways because I'm sure there are some fasteners that will be connecting the dining room drywall to the studs you are removing and these will show themselves when you start cutting and vibrating the wall.

If you are satisfied with this answer please leave me a positive rating at your convenience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, reciprocating saw it will be. BUT - how do I disconnect the stud if there's gyproc screws thru the 2x4 from the back side? Am I just going to have to expect damage....I am really hoping to avoid that. I just hope they didn't use glue spots like they did on the bathroom side!!

Thank you so much for your quick response Brian.

Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.

It's my pleasure, Penny.

If there are screws or nails holding the drywall to the studs you are removing, they will most likely rip themselves out with the vibration. At the very least they may lose their spackled cover and you may be able to remove them from the dining room side.

Either way, I am sure you will have to do some minor repair to the dining room side. Hopefully you don't run into glue, but even that can be o.k. If you tear the back paper a little or accidentally cut some of the back to the drywall, it's not a big deal. Once you go through, then you will have the minor repairs to make.

Good luck with it!

Brian, Architect
Experience: Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP