AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Specialist
Experience:  35 years home improvement
53189252

I have a garage door opener that opened and now will not close.

I have a garage door opener that opened and now will not close. It has power.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

Door openers do not have reset switches on them unfortunately.

Have you tried both the remotes and wall button for the opener?

If yes, have you attempted to push the wall button, holding it down until the door is closed and then release the wall button?

Can you hear any noise from the opener when you try any of the above?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Tommy

Thanks for the reply. Ok I have tried both remote and wall and the sensors are lined up (the indicator light is on), so holding the button does not result in the opener working
Ok, thanks.

So the door does not move at all?

Can you hear anything happening inside the opener?

If you have a ladder, you can get closer to the opener and listen for any noise at all?

How did you test for power at the opener?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you hear anything happening inside the opener? No

If you have a ladder, you can get closer to the opener and listen for any noise at all? zippo, nothing

How did you test for power at the opener? put my screw driver across the two incoming lines (my volt meter is at home in Chicago)

Tough way to test for power, but I guess if you got a big flash and boom tripping the breaker, then you must have adequate power at the receptacle.

Do you have a short piece of wire, you can strip each end, then go to the opener terminals on the back where the wall button wires are, then take the jumper and touch one each to each of those 2 terminals and see if that triggers it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can, but neither the wall or remote works, yet the remote works on the other door. Further, it worked about an hour ago

The motor itself will have a protective reset internally for if it were to overheat or have internal issues causing a high enough heat output.

You cannot access them, as they are built inside the motors.

Since it worked just a short bit ago, it leans towards the internal motor safety especially if you hear nothing inside that would indicate the gears stripping and the motor just running.

You might remove the rear cover, (usually 4 screws) and look in the back just to be sure you dont have a super quiet motor and the gears have stripped.
Doubt it is that quiet, but have seen odd things before.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just did, no sound, sorry

Ok, we are about at the end of options here.

There are only 2 things that can be creating the issue in my opinion.

One, the main circuit board and 2. the motor itself has died or the internal switch is open and will not reset.

Either one requires replacement, just trying to determine how to eliminate one of them.

The manual is like gold, cannot find one anywhere in the databases I have and one of our other experts has had a few customers for these and he too never found a free manual.

If you can get the actual Model number, I could find the board, but motors are rarely sold by anyone.

Try to unplug the unit for 20 minutes or so, and see if anything at all takes place.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

U rock, the motherboard was stuck. So unplugging worked....was easiest one I ever had.....thank you...send me the bill

Very good, great work.

Sometimes they do get the hiccups. As all electronics do at some point, glad it wasn't dead.
AssuredElectrical, Home Specialist
Experience: 35 years home improvement