Rick
Rick , General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

Our toilet wants to overflow but doesnt and drains very slowly.

Our toilet wants to overflow but doesn't and drains very slowly. The bowl siphons completely out of water. We tried to snake but that didn't work. We put in bacterial drain cleaner in and that didn't work. We have a septic system. All other toilets, dishwasher, sinks, and washer work fine. Can you help?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue

Rick :

This sounds like classic symptoms of a clogged bowl. What kind of a snake did you use?

Customer:

wire snake

Rick :

You need a closet auger, which is a specialized snake made for a toilet. A regular sink snake won;t work.

Full Size Image

Rick :

You can get one at any home center and most hardware stores. It's worth it to spend an extra $10-$20 for the better model

Customer:

ok we will get one and try that. thank you

Rick :

You're welcome. They don't come with instructions. Hang on a minute and I'll pull up my instructions for using one

Customer:

ok that will help

Rick :

How to use a closet auger is not self evident and they don't come with instructions. You will note when you get one that the crank on the top end can pull up withdrawing the snake into the handle. You do this initially until only the tip of the snake is showing at the base of the handle. You then insert the tip into the bowl as far as you can. Next start turning the crank (clockwise) while slowly pushing the snake into the bowl. If you hit a spot where it refuses to move forward start cranking in the opposite direction then go back to clockwise once you get by the obstruction. If you can't get the snake all the way through the bowl it will probably have to be pulled off the floor and snaked from the outlet of the bowl backwards into the bowl.

Rick :

You can copy and paste the text into a Word doc if you want to print it out

Customer:

ok we understand

Rick :

do you have any more questions?

Customer:

no we will try this thank you

Rick :

You're welcome