Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

Theres a very strong, chemical sweet smell coming from a bedroom

There's a very strong, chemical sweet smell coming from a bedroom on the top floor of our house. We only smell it on sunny/warm days, but it is strong enough to drift through the whole house. The smell seems to be coming from the ceiling.

In 2012, we drywalled over the plaster ceiling. As I understand it, so-called "chinese drywall" is no longer sold. Could it be our drywall anyway? What else should we check for?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Gina-Moderator replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Best,

Gina~Moderator
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can wait another day or two. Thanks.

Hello Joanna:

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.

Best,

Gina~Moderator
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue

One possibility is glycol anti-freeze. It smells sweet and is used in hot water heating and solar hot water systems. Some could have leaked out of the system or could have spilled from an earlier leak that was not cleaned up properly. If you can't localize the smell and the odor is noxious or a real nuisance your best bet would be to contact and environmental air quality specialist. There are many smaller companies in most locales that do environmental testing for Real Estate sales and other small scale situations. They can do more specific testing usually for a moderate fee and they should be able to get to the bottom of this for you.

There's nothing in a typical drywall job that would generate any kind of odor beyond the odor of drying paint which should dissipate in a day or so at most

Rick, General Contractor
Experience: Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.