Eric M. Bright
Eric M. Bright, We Don't Comprehend the Word Can't!
Experience:  I've been been doing things for my clients that others have said cant be done for over a 1/4 Century
25936098

I am building an outbuilding and cannot find the real costs

I am building an outbuilding and cannot find the real costs of brick exterior and stucco to compare. What is the typical cost per square foot for a finished gararage? I live in Layton Utah.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Gina-Moderator replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Best,

Gina~Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't mind waiting a day or so. I have googled it but no definitive answer.

Hello Richard

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.

Best,

Gina~Moderator
Expert:  Eric M. Bright replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer.com, I am glad you are here! My name is Eric & I will endeavor to answer your question.

Here are links to two current cost comparison charts for siding options. After I post the charts, I am going to offer some unsolicited advice on how to choose the company or individual to do your work.

.

My reference source is "The Brick Industry Association"

.

http://screencast.com/t/5JM39wMu7c

.

http://screencast.com/t/cYuplJeXtpDm

.

This is a copy of an article I wrote a while back. Not every mention or suggestion will fit your specific situation however, after reading it you will be able to come away fully understanding what I think is important when hiring people to work in and on your home.

.

Finding a contractor who suites you

.

By: Eric M. Bright August 14th 2011 - JustAnswer.com Now, Just a few words about finding a good contractor, carpenter or worker...

.

For difficult or odd trouble shooting situations, you need to find a guy (or girl) with years under their belt. Here is one suggestion on how to find that person.

.
If you have in your area, a lumber yard... I do not mean The Home Depot or Lowes, I mean a real old time like lumber yard. Go there and ask the person at the desk who amongst their employees has been working there the longest and tell them that you wish to speak with that person. You might just get lucky and find a guy (or girl) who has been there for 30+ years. This person will know who it is you need to call to come work on your house. He (or She) might even BE THE PERSON you want to come work at your house.

.

Now... whereby there is certainly nothing wrong with young people most times (in fact, I used to be one) however, I dare say that the person you want to come to your home to diagnose why your door is no longer fitting right or why your home is sinking or tilting, needs to have (at least a little bit of) "gray hair". Do you understand what I am saying? They need to have "been around the block"

.

Some additional things to consider when searching for a carpenter, sub-contractor or contractor:

There are a lot of excellent, qualified, honest and hard working men and woman out there in this economy who are scratching hard for work. This said, if you search a bit, you should be able to find one of them who is hungry enough to offer a very reasonable labor rate in comparison to just a year or two ago. Don't be afraid to take one estimate and call another one of the people who quoted you and ask them to beat the price. If you find one who has a mortgage or rent payment overdue, (you have no way of knowing that however, I'm just saying) your going to get a really good price. Men of integrity will do their best for you regardless of whether they are working for $10 and hr or $75 an hour. Do whatever you have to find that man or woman of integrity.

.

Next, no matter what the price... Don't hire anyone who you don't have that initial great gut feeling about! These people are going to be coming and going in your home and it is very important that you "like them" and feel good about them not just feel that they are competent and might be able to do a good job for the lowest price.

.

Last, even though it might be inconvenient, once you believe that you have chosen your contractor or carpenter or stone mason or cabinet guy or...? Take the time to really call their references AND to go look at their work. I say go look at their work because your definition of "quality well finished work" might not be the same as another person's definition of "quality well finished work". The worker might indeed be real nice, dependable, affordable and everything wonderful however, if you go look at his crown molding miters you might be thinking "I can't believe he let that go" and his client whose living room you are standing in might be thinking "look at my beautiful crown molding, so pretty"!

.

Follow these basic guidelines and you should have a most satisfying renovation experience. Over the last quarter century, my relationship with many of my clients has grown to also be one of friendship. I cherish those relationships. The person you hire to work in your home might just wind up being one who you will want to have back over and over again as the years pass. So do yourself a favor and go the extra mile now to find just the right person.

Experience: I've been been doing things for my clients that others have said cant be done for over a 1/4 Century