Marc
Marc, Handyman
Experience:  Plumbing, Heating, and home maintenance contractor
50715266

I dont expect you to be able to help on this one. I have

I don't expect you to be able to help on this one.

I have a Karcher SPD 18000, which is a dirty water punp which I use to pump water over the garden from a well. It has stopped working and when I try it, all that happens is that the trip switch on my fuse box trips off.

Do you have any ideas, please?

Marc : Hello and thank you for using our service. I will assist you today with your question to the best of my ability. DO NOT RATE SERVICE UNTIL COMPLETED
Marc : Hello, my name is Marc. I have more than 26years experience in the plumbing and heating industry and I will do my best to assist you today with your pump.
Marc : generally when a pump trips it is either that the motor has failed at the windings or armature or the impeller has seized up.
Marc : My first suggestion would be to attempt to access the impeller housing as this is the telltale sign of the problem. If the impeller moves freely then the motor is the problem.
Marc : You also may wish to check electrical connections and wiring to ensure there are no cracks or breaks.
Customer:

The impeller is quite free. I can see no breaks in the electrical connections or wiring. I suspect leaving the pump in the well over winter didn't help!!

Customer:

I imagine the motor has had it and its time to buy a new one.

Marc : Yes most likely water finally found its way to the windings and armature and failed.
Marc : The motor can be rebuilt if you have any type of a service facility in your area. I know in my area there is a company called motor power that rebuild electric motors and tools. If you have a company like this then I would recommend checking into it. A new motor can be fitted or rebuilt for far less the cost of a new pump. It's a judgement call on your part.