Dr. Fix-It
Dr. Fix-It, Handyman
Experience:  Work on all parts of home construction & maintenance

This is for Steve555..

This is for Steve555. I would like to install shower doors, however I have 3 issues I need to know can be resolved involving the framing of the installation in an 'open' corner and atop a porcelain tub. THEN and IF there is a workaround, I need to know who sells this product (and in my area) because the manufacturers say I can only get product through a contractor (which defeats the DIY effort(s). Thank you. PS my laptop doesnt always work so be patient if you can with my responses. I will be happy to rate when. these issues allow me to show my wife it can be done.

Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Steve G. replied 11 months ago.

Hi. Thanks for requesting me but this is not my area of expertise. I am going to opt out of this question which will allow other experts to chime in and help you.

Hold on.

Expert:  Michelle-Mod replied 11 months ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Michelle

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

This has been going on for weeks and is ridiculous. I am only asking about installing shower doors, not building a three stage rocket. I think they dont like my rating. They are punishing me rather than reading my question and that experts answer and see that he answered in a hurry and expected to get paid to tell me something not appropriate. This person is an engineer and a 'handyman' and cant answer questions about shower doors. This will end up making me the bad guy. I still need answers about a common topic.

I am sorry you are feeling that way, but I will work hard to try to find you the right professional to assist you.

Thank you for your patience,
Michelle
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Is this an issue Home Improvement Handy people can address? IF so, do you think it better I give you the issues so you can better find someone 'right' for me? Thank you.

As to how I feel, going from bad rating to another expert should be an easy protocl. Instead I felt punished (and was) for happening not to accept my 'experts' response.

Not MY issue. Thank you,

You can feel free to give us more information I am sure that would help us to find a good fit for you.

Thanks in advance for any other information you wish to provide,
Michelle
Expert:  Dr. Fix-It replied 11 months ago.

Hi I am Dr.Fix-It, Your online expert ready to assist you...

`

Thanks for your patience not always easy to have a complete picture of the issue from afar and may best require a site measurement and evaluation, but certainly every issue has a solution to be found... Can have a look here for some information on installation of shower doors may see the pdf towards the middle of the page...

`

`

As far as getting material or the area examined many affordable licensed contractors can be Found Here that can help get the materials and provide basic help while letting you manage as much or little of the labor you can handle.

`

Please have a look at the underlined links with a click and let me know if have any questions with a reply.

`

Please note: This is an independent 24hr online paid assistance site, where independent experts in their field from across the globe, can assist you for the agreed upon fee, all in the privacy and comfort of your home. We are not paid a salary, are spending our personal unpaid timeto help you and are only paid a part of your question deposit when you give a smiley face / star rating of 3 or higher for the timely professional advise provided. >> Troubleshooting sometimes requires some back & forth to better understand the issue and isolate the cause: Please do NoT rate negativelywith BAD service or POOR service, instead if you still have an issue do not rate, please REPLY with additional information, so can help you further or can also request to open your question to other impartial experts that may have alternative answers or may forward to the site customer service << Please only rate my answer ok, great, or EXCELLENT after we have worked on the issue together to your satisfaction. Bonuses are welcomed & appreciated. Thank You . . . "

Dr-Fix-It-Advise.com

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Appreciate your interest. Will try to explain better. Prior to becoming disabled I did most of work in apartment. My wife would help when needed. I didnt get around to shower doors and when got disabled, other things more important. Now, at 6 4/400 pounds not enough room in shower so doors would be great. Difficult with bars/bench and curtains sticking to me. I know how to order frames/plates/silicone/screws. ISSUE is one side of tub (and your image is on target. If I may, I am impressed) is OPEN. Saying that I mean that side faces a window. So looking at tub as you enter B/R you see front (length wise) left side is wall with tile and mirror, to back is tile and to right is window. It has 2 shelves in that area. Shower rod goes around in a curve with rod hanging at right corner to ceiling. Does harndware exist that allows me to attach framing to to compensate for a missing corner? And can I attach framing (dont think silicone enough and dont want to drill through porcelin/metal tub if avoidable) to the flat surface of that side of the tub. That corner doesnt have the support short of going up to the ceiling. As to hiring anyone, why would I do a DIY if that was that goal. IM going to do it the best I can. I dont know the name of the part, or brace, or angle piece and so on. THAT is my issue and thank you for allowing me to state it.

Hi thanks for the details, you do not need any framing as the shower door comes in an assembly with the open corner piece, called a return panel. For your tub get the bath doors 60" height with the return panel to cover the open side that will brace with 90 degree piece to the front panel and then other side to wall (can use anchor into tile wall).

graphic

`

reference >

http://www.sterlingplumbing.com/shower-doors/custom-shower-doors/bypass

&

http://www.sterlingplumbing.com/common/pdf/StyleTS.pdf

`

graphic

Pictured above with kneewall that in your case is not needed

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

BLESS YOU! Finally. I may contact you again with the odd question. Please dont be upset. You have answered my issues. It is doable (and hopefully affordable). If I may, the framing along the tub top is fastened using adhesive, or caulk, or silicone? Some frames dont require it because of angling and padding, Any water that goes to that part of the frame finds its level into the tub? Also, if not a problem, do you have an instructioin sheet (I realize one may come with product, but if not) to link me with so I know what additional parts/effort may be needed up front? I assume this is all plastic panelling?

I know why they call you Dr. You deserve the title. You helped me and my family and did fantastically. Thank you very much.

Hey you are quite welcome... The top and bottom will be secured with screws and hardware and will seal the bottom and sides with silicone to ensure a watertight fitting. Please find the available instructions / guides listed below:

http://www.sterlingplumbing.com/articles-and-tips/spec-and-install-guides?productSection=Bath Doors#results

`

& reference videos:

http://www.kohler.com/video/147/Sterling-Plumbing/lvl1id?158/Installation/lvl2id?160/Shower-Doors/playlistid?639748175001/Sterling---Shower-Doors/videoid?1826419866001/Installing-a-Sliding-Shower-Door?usrclk/

`

Well hope that helps get a plan of action and on your way to a new tub / shower enclosure. Have a good night. . .

`

Please rate my answer EXCELLENT now since we have worked on the issue together to your satisfaction. Bonuses are welcomed & appreciated. Thank You. . . Remember Dr.Fix-It on any future inquires > http://www.dr-fix-it-advise.com/ <

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The first link highlights, but does not activate (no finger). If possible, please resend.

This would of course really help. WIth your contacts, any vendor you could refer me to for ordering the 'kit' shown in the second link? I would give specs and they would deliver for me to have installed (not by contractor.Building handyman will help if needed). I dont think a Lowes does that kind of thing. YOUR vendor might save me money? If needed, I live in New York City (10011).

Not that you have to, but if you wish (no comment necessary) look at The Home Smithy

response and compare it to yours. NOT IN THE SAME CLASS. I will ask the moderator how to go into a link and offer some kind words for you. IF every 'Expert' on JustAnswer did as you, they would be as big as Google.

Glad was able to help and find the right solution for you, you can call 1-800-STERLING (1-800-783-7546) for any questions on the product and I believe will be sent a survey from this site after rating my assistance, so can offer your feedback.

`

Here are the install guides:

http://www.sterlingplumbing.com/articles-and-tips/spec-and-install-guides

Yes Home Depot or Lowes can order this bath door with return panel for you...

`

THE HOME DEPOT
40 W 23rd St
New York, NY 10010
(212)(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

or

LOWE'S
7801 Tonnelle Ave
North Bergen, NJ 07047
(201)662-0932

& here are some other dealers in the area that can supply the materials too:

`

SOLCO PLUMBING SUPPLY INC
460 W 16th St
New York, NY 10011
212/243-2569

or

BLACKMAN PLUMBING SPLY
85 FIFTH AVE
NEW YORK, NY 10003
212-337-1000

or

DAVIS & WARSHOW INC-NEW YORK
150 E 58th St
New York, NY 10155
212-980-0966

`

Here is another reference for installation at well > http://rexshowerdoors.com/DIYCenter/Installation/ButtGlazing.aspx

`

Dr. Fix-It, Handyman
Experience: Work on all parts of home construction & maintenance