The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
3079445

Garage door goes down only when the inside button is held down.

Garage door goes down only when the inside button is held down. It will go up with remote and from inside with only a touch of the button. Help!
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer.
Does it go down at all when you use the remotes? Even a little bit?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Starts but stops and holding the button does not help.

Thank you, Ellen.

One more question for you.

The sensors (electronic eye beams) at the bottom of the door rails, are they both showing a green light (if so equipped)?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

with the door up one is orange or yellow and the other isn't on.

Okay, Ellen. What you need to try is aligning them with each other. If they are out of alignment the sensors send a signal back to the main unit that there is something blocking the door and the main unit will not allow the door to come down automatically.

You will know when the sensors are aligned as the light will turn green.

If the one that is out will not light up when you try to align it then it will need to be replaced. These are always best to replace together.

You can get universal sensort kits at most all big box home improvement centers and some hardware stores.

Once both lights are green you are good to go.

Please let me know if you have any other immediate concerns.
If not please select a positive rating at this time. Doing so will not close your question, and after you rate my service you may ask any followup questions you like. All at no additional charge.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the one that was out came on and is green but the other is still orange. The door works now.

Thats great! As long as th edoor operates correctly dont worry about the orange light. If you like you can fiddle with it and try to get it to go green but if the opener is working I would just leave it be.

Ellen you have a great weekend!

Smitty =)