Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP

our garage door opener is blinking 5 bright flashes and then

our craftsman garage door opener is blinking 5 bright flashes and then 2 dimmer flashes 3 times... 5 bright flashes then dim flash,dim flash, pause dim flash,dim flash, pause dim flash,dim flash then back to 5 bright flashes

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today.

Sorry to hear about your garage door opener?

I haven't heard of that sequence of flashing before. Can you describe what is working and what is not?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it is only doing what was described, it did happen after a storm and power failure. our cable box and tv were not working either...possible power surge?

When I heard that you had clicking that typically happens after a power surge/ loss of power due to an electrical storm.

If the opener is not working at all and you just have the clicking this is usually a fried logic board. They are highly sensitive to power surges and they have soldered electrical connections that get burnt.

Unfortunately a new board averages around $70. If your opener is older than 10 years I recommend just putting that money towards a new opener.

I would purchase a surge protector made for garage door openers and this will help protect the logic board in the future.

Sorry for the bad news.

PLEASE READ BEFORE RATING MY ANSWER: Your final rating of my answer carries a lot of weight. It effects my overall ratings and I am dedicated to give you the most accurate and complete answer possible, based on the information you provided me. Please rate my answer fairly and if you are not satisfied with any part of my answer, please let me know so that I can clarify and have you leave here satisfied with your experience.