Marc
Marc, Handyman
Experience:  Plumbing, Heating, and home maintenance contractor
50715266

Warm tiles in kitchen with no pattern or known cause.

I have warm tiles with no pattern in my kitchen. It started right in front of the refrigerator and has since moved to tiles in the middle of the kitchen. There is no pattern. Different tiles can be warm on different days. I haven't noticed an increase in my water bill but I'm confused to the cause. It started this past winter about six months ago. Could the issue be electrical if not plumbing? I also read that a broken water line underground could cause heat to be released through the cement. Recently the main water line was repaired by city workers. When I purchased the home 4 years ago the inspector stated that the wiring to the island, which runs under the refrigerator, wasn't ran properly through the cement, however, when I feel this wire running to the outlet (from within the cabinet) the temp of the wire is not warm. Unsure what could be causing the warm tiles!

electrifier :

Is your house on a slab or do you have a basement?

Customer:

On a slab.

Hello and thank you for using our service. I will assist you today with your question to the best of my ability. DO NOT RATE SERVICE UNTIL COMPLETED. I see that another expert has started a conversation with you. I will attempt to pick up where he left off...
Since you have a slab, I am going to assume that wiring is not the issue. Of course an electrician can test the wiring to see if there are any problems however since you have no apparent problems present I will assume it is not electrical.
This is indicative of a hot water piping leak. A few things you can do to investigate...
1)with all your faucets off go look at your water meter. See if the meter dial (little red arrow) is spinning or even slightly moving. If so, water is flowing which could indicate a leak.
2) use a stethoscope if one is available around the warm part of the floor to possibly hear a leak in the area
3) some plumbers or water utility companies may have an ultrasonic leak detector which can hear a leak even better than a stethoscope.
In my experience a warm spot within a cement slab constitutes a leaking hot water pipe. I typically use a thermal scanner (handheld heat gun) that can tell the temperature of the floor. By doing this one can follow the hot water line through the floor and if a large heat spot is present it determines a water pipe leak in the particular area. At that point I would discuss with the customer about removing the cement and repairing the leak or rerouting the pipe overhead if possible. Either way it may not be an easy repair however in the long run it will be less expensive than heating the water lost not to mention the cost of the water lost.
Feel free to respond if you need further assistance.

Please understand: I am not paid a salary, I spend my personal time assisting you. I am only paid when you give a smiley face or star rating of 3 or higher for my assistance to you.
Please remember to rate my answer after we have worked on the issue together to your satisfaction. Bonuses are welcomed as well as appreciated. Thank You!!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry i've been out of town. i had a plumber come by and sure enough it is hot water pipe leak. he suggested running a smaller pipe in the pipe tgat is leaking which would slightly decrease the water pressure. do you think i should consider this option or just reroute the pipe through the attic? thanks for your help.

You're very welcome please remember to rate my service to you. Thank you very much and have a great day
Marc, Handyman
Experience: Plumbing, Heating, and home maintenance contractor