Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I bought my new house in January 2013, the dryer would not

Customer Question

I bought my new house in January 2013, the dryer would not work. Would not turn on at all, we got my dryer fixed, and now it takes up to 5 times to dry the clothes. We got a newer dryer in there now, and this one takes up to 5 times to dry the clothes.. Is it the dryer or electrical problem?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.

Rick :

Welcome, I will do my best to help you with your issue

Rick :

What you describe sounds like a venting problem. If the vent is too long or if it's not clear the clothes won't dry or will take forever to dry. Since you have a new dryer that should rule out the dryer

Rick :

And I assume you checked the voltage when you say you checked the wiring

Customer: Yes we checked the voltage. Everything seems to be right. If it is the vent that needs fixed. Is it the aluminum tube? Do I need to go buy a shorter one? It is fairly long.
Rick :

Yes it's the 4" aluminum duct. The vent may need to be rerouted so it's not as long.

Rick :

How far is it from the dryer to where the vent leaves the house?

Customer: Behind the dryer the aluminum tube is about 2 and a half feet away from the hole in the house. The washer is in the way of the dryer being able to be closer than that.
Rick :

That doesn't sound like a long run for the vent. Is the vent trapped so water could collect in it? does the vent hood outside open and blow hot air when the dryer is running/

Rick :

Is the vent obstructed in any way?

Customer:

i went outside and checked the vent, and there is something blocking the air from coming out, like a bowl or some sort, feels like hot air is trying to come out when the dryer is on right now

Rick :

Well it sounds like the vent is the issue. It's difficult for me sitting here behind a computer screen to say just what the issue is without being there to check it out

Rick :

Does the vent hood look like your typical vent hood?

Customer:

Yes And i believe someone put something in the vent and screwed it to the house, I think I found my problem, so the dryer i previously had was most likely still good. Well I am going to go outside again and take the cover off and get that container/bowl thing out. Thanks so much for your help to guide me outside!

Rick :

You're welcome!

Rick, General Contractor
Experience: Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.