Charles
Charles , Engineering Contractor
Experience:  20+ years in most phases of construction
26609390

QUESTION FOR A STUCCO EXPERT We have a townhouse under contract

QUESTION FOR A STUCCO EXPERT

We have a townhouse under contract in a live/work development in Charleston, SC. The contractor just finished the stucco on two of the units. The stucco is supposed to look aged, like the homes in historic downtown Charleston. I am not an expert on stucco, but something just doesn't look right to me aesthetically about the stucco work.

What are your thoughts?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Charles replied 3 years ago.

Charles :

Hello, and thanks for your question! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to assist you today!!

Charles :

Hi

Customer:

Hi.

Charles :

What is it about the stucco that doesn't look right to you

Customer:

I'm trying to upload two photos for you to look at, but it isn't letting me upload them.

Charles :

ok, can you describe it for me?

Customer:

Full Size Image
Well, I'd really like to show you the pictures. Can I email them?

Charles :

sorry, the picture didn't load right

Customer:

I know, the upload feature is poorly designed on here. Can I email the photos?

Charles :

Im sorry, I can only operate in this way

Customer:

Give me a second . . . I have an idea.

Charles :

Ok, I will hang on as long as you need

Customer:

http:[email protected]/

Customer:

I uploaded the images to my flickr account.

Charles :

Let me try that link, brb

Charles :

Ok, got the pictures

Charles :

thanks

Customer:

You may need to enlarge them to see the detail.

Charles :

So, is your concern about the color or the pattern ??

Customer:

The pattern.

Customer:

What is your first thoughts (before I tell you my concerns)?

Charles :

Ok, From what I can see in the photos the 2 things that stand out are the color and what I would call the "pattern" of the stucco application.

Charles :

Now I can tell you this

Customer:

The pattern is my main concern.

Charles :

When your working with a "hand applied" material like plaster, concrete and stucco you will be hard pressed to get an identical match in the pattern because of several issues

Customer:

Agreed.

Charles :

#1, depending on the age of the buildings your trying to match, the materials can be made of different components that can cause the newer stucco look different. #2, the biggest difference would be that because it is applied by a different person, the style in which they apply the materials will be very different. Like a painting made by a big artist will have very distinct patterns. Plasterers are very much the same.

Customer:

The stucco is brand new (the townhouses are brand new). Here's my concern: on the oryou can tell the stucco

Customer:

Sorry, I pressed reply too fast.

Customer:

On the orange unit, you can see where they did the side in sections, based on the scaffolding. They didn't even try to blend the sections. Is this normal?

Charles :

This is actually caused by the differences in the coloring used in the stucco mix.

Customer:

Right, but wouldn't a professional try to blend the sections better?

Charles :

The idea is to try and get a more even match but some colors are allot harder to get a match when your mixing several small batches. The good news is that the colors will blend together somewhat over the next 6 months to a years from the fading caused by the weather and the sun.

Charles :

The grey color is actually the easiest to match because its more of a darker color

Customer:

So, if this was your house, you would be happy with the stucco work in the pictures?

Charles :

Being in the industry it wouldn't concern me to much because I know its going to blend in after time. If the look they were going for was the historic look from decades or even 100 years ago, then they are actually pretty close. Because this is what those aged buildings were like allot of the times.

Charles :

The dyes that are used now and back then will vary because they are matural materials

Customer:

Ok, thanks so much for your time! I will leave you a excellent rating and accept your answer. However, just so you know, I am also going to ask one more expert for their opinion, just for my own piece of mind. Thanks again!