Charles
Charles, Engineering Contractor
Experience:  20+ years in most phases of construction
26609390

I have an old brick home with no insulation in the walls. The

I have an old brick home with no insulation in the walls. The bedrooms are on the south side of the house which is shaded and does not get any sunshine. In the winter there is water running down the bedroom walls in the morning. Will putting a ventilation grill in the bedroom wall into the wall cavity help?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Charles :

Hello, and thanks for your question! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to assist you today!!

Charles :

Im sorry to here about your problem, it can be very upsetting to try and solve venting and condensation issues

Charles :

How old is the home and is the brick painted on the outside?

Customer:

Hi Charles, The house is from the 50's and no it is not painted

Charles :

Ok, thanks.

Charles :

Is the problem worse when it rains?

Customer:

I can't actually remember. The bedrooms seem to get a bit moldy all year round but considerably damper during the winter, so I guess that's when it is wetter.

Charles :

Ok, thanks.

Charles :

Is that entire side of the home doing it or is it confined to a certain area?

Customer:

Yes that side of the house is doing it. We have three bedrooms alomg that side of the house. My daughters is the worse as that is in the 'back' corner of the house with two external walls. My son's room is a smaller room in the middle which has a big window and less wall space, he has less condensation on the walls, the master bedroom has one wall that gets the sun and the wall that is on the damp side is covered in wardrobes, which all though does not get condensation it gets moldy and permanently has a musty smell

Customer:

I have just got some quotes for floor and ceiling insulation. The floor is not insulated at the moment and the batts in the ceiling are very thin. The house has a log burner but that is up the other end of the house and the heat does not reach the bedrooms. I am looking at ecconomical eways to heat the hall way and bedrooms.

Customer:

The bedrooms are carpeted

Charles :

If the issue is there all year around but worse in the winter/rainy seasons, then you may have moistur building up under the house. Is this on a raised foundation?

Customer:

yes it is

Charles :

ok, It sounds like you may have a drainage issue. If that area under the is not able to dry out then you can have moisture getting trapped and creating a terrarium effect in those rooms.

Charles :

is the area under those rooms wetter than the rest of the house?

Charles :

If so, you may be able to solve this by installing a drainage pipe to get the rain water away

Customer:

I haven't been under to have a look

Charles :

I would check that out.

Customer:

The house is cemented around it

Customer:

on the outside

Charles :

ok, but water will still get into the crawl space area if rain water doesn't flow away from the house.

Charles :

if your home is built off the ground and there is a crawl space then you need to have venting to let moisture evaporate

Customer:

I will get under and check that out. I have just thought there is also In outside tap on the external wall of my dughter's room, so that could possibly have a leak or be adding to the dampness.

Charles :

That was actually my next thing for you to check

Charles :

also sprinkler systems that get the walls wet can cause isses also

Customer:

Would this cause water dripping down the internal walls then? I thought it was going to be just a case of the warmth of the inside condensing due to the cold of the outside wall

Charles :

Its the trapped moisture that is creating the condensation.

Customer:

I guess I need to get under and see if that is a major contributer. Would a ventilation grill help?

Charles :

if its all year around as you say, then you have a source of moisture that is causing this.

Charles :

Any venting will help, I would hate to see you install it in the bedrooms though if that is only going to hide the problem instead of solve it

Customer:

I definately will follow up on the underneath problem first.

Charles :

If you do have moisture building up then it will start causing damage when left un repaired

Customer:

If I put a ventilation grill in does this need to go through to an external wall or will one in the gib into the wall cavity be ok?

Charles :

If you install vents in the walls, you will need to remember to install them so air can flow trough the walls . This will usually mean installing them so that air can flow from one side to the other. Installing 1 vent into a wall that no other vents will not allow the air to move so it will not be effective. You would need to install them at opposite sides to eachother to promote the flow. Another thing to think about, if the brick mortar is allowing water to get in, and then the trees don't allow them to dry out then the moisture can get in that way as well.

Charles :

Check for breaks, cracks and missing mortar as well

Customer:

Ok I will do, but I think the outside of the house is sound. Guess I will need to get a builder to do this work, if it was just into the gib I could have done it myself but this sounds to big a job for me to do. Guess I need to get under the house first.

Charles :

When ever you open a wall with moisture issues I always tell customers to let a pro do it unless your comfortable doing this work. If its not done right then you could have water get into the walls that way also. If you do try it, just be sure to seal the venting VERY good to keep weather out

Customer:

No, I won't try it. Leave it to the professionals.

Charles :

Not a bad idea. But Before you do anything, check for the source of the moisture. I think you will find that you have a drainage issue or a leak in the plumbing line.

Customer:

Would I ask a builder to look at the dampness under the house, if there is any, or would you suggest another professional?

Charles :

I would as a waterproofing pro

Charles :

or a builder that deals in water / moisture intrussion

Customer:

Ok, think I'll look for a waterproofing pro.

Charles :

Ok, I hope I was able to help get you going in the right direction.

Customer:

Yes, definitely. A great help. Many thanks :-)

Charles, Engineering Contractor
Experience: 20+ years in most phases of construction