kruzrken
kruzrken, General Contractor
Experience:  California licensed contractor
55199448

Question: Can a Class B Contractor take a prime contract

Question:

Can a Class B Contractor take a prime contract for a project if the prime contract does not require any framing or carpentry according to the CA law stated below?
For example a Class B contractor intends to add new cement siding over existing siding.

California Contractors State License Board
Class B License - General Building Contractor
Business & Professions Code
Division 3, Chapter 9. Contractors, Article 4. Classifications

(b) A general building contractor may take a prime contractor a subcontract for a framing or carpentry project. However, a general building contractor shall not take a prime contract for any project involving trades other than framing or carpentry unless the prime contract requires at least two unrelated building trades or crafts other than framing or carpentry, or unless the general building contractor holds the appropriate license classification or subcontracts with an appropriately licensed specialty contractor to perform the work. A general building contractor shall not take a subcontract involving trades other than framing or carpentry, unless the subcontract requires at least two unrelated trades or crafts other than framing or carpentry, or unless the general building contractor holds the appropriate license classification. The general building contractor may not count framing or carpentry in calculating the two unrelated trades necessary in order for the general building contractor to be able to take a prime contractor subcontract for a project involving other trades.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  kruzrken replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this is Ken, licensed CA contractor, and the answer is YES! I've done it many times. for example, plumbing, electrical and painting. If you ever get in a pinch and want to do, say tile work, convince the customer that he also needs a new faucet in the lav or something. There is alway some other work that can be done. and since you normally provide a lump sum contract, you can throw in anything you want.

Best of luck to you.

Ken

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ken:

Thank you for your response.

In other word, the general contractor must have two other unrelated trades in the contract if his contract doesn't involve carpentry or framing?

Expert:  kruzrken replied 1 year ago.

Holly-

Sorry for the delay, I did not get notified of your reply for some reason!

Yes, that's correct. At least 2 other trades. A good example of this might be, say, in a remodel. You may be asked to install new flooring, upgrade the HVAC, and provide a new electrical panel. Many general's have been on the job long enough to handle all of these, and this saves the owner form having to deal with 3 separate contractors.

Of course you can mix and match. I myself am an electrical engineer, so I have always done all of my own electrical. I also fancy myself to be a decent painter. But I suck as a plumber, so that I always subbed out.

Regards,

Ken

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ken:

Thank you for your response.

If the job is to instal new cement siding only

1) the work doesn't involve carpentry or framing, Correct?

2) it doesn't have two other unrelated trades? .

Expert:  kruzrken replied 1 year ago.
Plastering is not considered framing, so the additional trades rule would apply as you suggested.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Is it correct that there is NO two other unrelated trades involved in adding new cement siding?

Expert:  kruzrken replied 1 year ago.

Holly-

Unless there is something you are not telling me, no. I am assuming there is some existing type of siding. In this case, there would be demolition of the old siding and re-plastering. What other trades did you think there might be? I'm trying to zero in on your uncertainty.

Ken

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ken:

Thank you for your answer.

I can't think of any other trades for this job. We believe it involves only one trade which to add new siding.

I am not a contractor. I asked the questions and want to get a certain answer: It is correct that a Class B Contractor can't sign a contract which is to add new cement siding on top of the existing siding only. Thank you for your time.

Expert:  kruzrken replied 1 year ago.

Holly-

For one final clarification, to do the cement siding only, it requires a C-35 license.

Thanks for the opportunity to help you! If you have any further questions, I'll be here.

Regards,

Ken

kruzrken, General Contractor
Experience: California licensed contractor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

There seems to be a bit of confusion. This is the situation.

An exterior wall has wood lap siding.

Question: Add Cement Shingle Siding on top of existing wood lap siding is this a one trade project?

Expert:  kruzrken replied 1 year ago.

Holly-

Sorry, I thought we were dealing with cement, not cement siding. But the answer is almost the same, except it requires a D-41 license.

http://www.cslb.ca.gov/generalinformation/library/licensingclassifications/D41SidingAndDecking.asp

Here is the law exactly, which explains that a B licensed contractor may not take this job, except with other unrelated trades, or he must also hold a D-41 license.

http://www.cslb.ca.gov/GeneralInformation/Library/LicensingClassifications/BGeneralBuildingContractor.asp

Regards,

Ken

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ken, Thank you very much.

Expert:  kruzrken replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome!