Dovetail Greene
Dovetail Greene, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed Building Contractor & Certified Building Designer

new home construction,,,what is the correct way to install

new home construction,,,what is the correct way to install insulation in the walls and ceiling....do you put plastic sheeting over the insulation on the inside..
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Dovetail Greene replied 1 year ago.

Good evening.

My name's Kel.

In order to answer your question I need to know where you live.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello,,I'm gary...62yr old,,can do and build anything...we are building my daughter and single mother a new home,,and energy is the key word.....north/eastern kentucky.

OK.

Since your climate is more dominated by winter conditions than summer --

the vapor retarder goes on the inside of the wall.

You seal around all windows with foam. Seal all penetrations in the wall with either foam or caulk depending on the size of the hole. Then insulate. Making sure the insulation isn't compressed and there're no voids. Then install 4 mil pol. Tape any joints with red tape. Caulk around outlets.

After that you can install wall finish like drywall.

Does this make sense?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes it does....if i use foil or paper faced will this take the place of the plastic, or should i still use plastic over the facing...

You don't want to use insulation with foil or paper. It provides an inferior vapor retarder. The retarder keeps warm moist air from getting into the wall where it can condense and reduce the effectiveness of the insulation and create conditions for mold.

If you've already purchased the insulation and don't want to return it -- make sure to seal the joints with red tape.

You DON'T want to install plastic over paper or foil. It's easy for condensation to get trapped between layers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

got it,,,,thx for the info and making the problem clear...its greatly appreciated......gary

Good luck with your project.
Dovetail Greene, General Contractor
Experience: Licensed Building Contractor & Certified Building Designer
Hello again. This's Kel. Checking in to see how your insulating project's going. . .