Theplumber717
Theplumber717 , Plumber, HVAC Tech
Experience:  Lic Plumbing contractor,HVAC, All aspects construction 28 yrs exp
63005973

When I wash clothes it create a backflow in the toilet,shower

When I wash clothes it create a backflow in the toilet,shower and bath tub. Pumping cannot help at all. What will I do.Is the hard water in Nevada causes this backflow?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Theplumber717 replied 3 years ago.

GARY C :

Hi my name isXXXXX will do my best to solve your problem

Customer:

thanks.

GARY C :

You have a partial stoppage in the line, this is why its backing up into the other fixtures. |You will need to clean the stoppage with a powered sewer ma\chine in order to clear this out, and the backup will not happen.

GARY C :

The washer puts out alot of water while in drain cycle |(its pumped) and thats why you notice the backup then (its a partial clog)

GARY C :

and the hard water at your place is not the cause

GARY C :

Do you have anymore questions on this?

Customer:

wher is the stoppage located?

GARY C :

somewhere past the washer

Customer:

can we snake out the clog?

GARY C :

its not possiable to tell you an exact spot just that its past the washer in the line

GARY C :

yes with a\ powered sewer machine

GARY C :

if trying to do this yourself you can rent a\ machine for around ||$50 at a rental center

GARY C :

or pay a sewer company around $100 to do it for you

GARY C :

if doing it yourself, pull the toilet thats backing up and run the snake through there, it will open the clog

Customer:

Where can I rent a machine?

GARY C :

look in your local phone book, and look under tool rental

GARY C :

most are open on sat

Customer:

thanks a lot . this will help.

GARY C :

no problem good luck have a nice night

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my husband is trying to open the main preventer which is very hard to open, is that the stoppage you are talking about? he said the problem is the backflow.What do you think

you mean a clean out on the waste line |(the clean out plug? is this what he is trying to open? If it is, be careful because if the whole line is clogged and full of water a\nd waste, and you open this plug, it will;l flood waste and water everywhere, thats why it best to pull the toilet and clean from there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he opened the two small plug which he did again last week.he took out lot of tissue nad feces. the big one is the one he cannot opened. he said its the backflow that is failing. is that big one will create a flood when opened? How can that backflow be replaced if its the problem.

if you are pulling tissue out you need a powered snake to clean the line (you keep saying backflow, are you talking about a back water valve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he said backflow preventer

backflow prevent er is on the water service, to me it sounds like you are talking about a back water valve (in line check valve in the waste piping to stop backups from city sewer) if this is what you are talking about then yes the gate inside the valve maybe stuck and preventing the waste from leaving the house, in which case the large cap needs to be unscrewed to free the gate, or the valve will need to be replaced) This does not mean this is the problem as if the sewer is backed up you will have the same problem. Also if you have flooding in your neighborhood rite now, this is the problem and you will have to wait until the city sewer catches up
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So you mean if the valve is not failing , it could be the sewer is back up. I check the neighbor but they said they dont have a problem. Is that valve can be replaced by us or I need to call a plumber.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If you said sewer is backup , you meant there is a clog somewhere in the house pipes?

yes