Don
Don, Home Improvement Enthusiast
Experience:  35+year experience in business
20893398

how long do I need to wait to paint my wooden fence after a

how long do I need to wait to paint my wooden fence after a rain (treated wood I put in last year)
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Don replied 3 years ago.

Don T. :

Hello and thanks for using this service.
Are you asking about the time limit for painting the fence as far as how long from the time you installed it, or you are ready to paint and it rained out and got the fence wet?

Customer:

ready to paint and it got wet

Customer:

part is in the sun and part is full shade, by the way. I have to go, but I'll check back in the morning. Thanks.

Customer:

I'm painting a sherwin williams solid stain, if that matters.

Don T. :

It needs to be dry to your touch if you are finishing in an oil based stain. If you are using a water based stain then it should be ok, unless you are saying it is really soaked. Then I would give it a day or two to dry a little more.

Customer:

OK, and I cleaned it about a week ago (but rained off and on since until sat morning. I was going to wipe it down again w/ a wet cloth. Do you recommend that or just paint it. If I should wipe it down, how long do I wait to paint...15 min/ 30/ 1 hr???

Don T. :

A little rain is not going to hurt anything, other than along the base if you have a hard rain that could cause dirt to splash up on the bottom of the fence. In that case use a stiff dry brush to clean it off an paint it.

Don T. :

It wll be fine

Don T. :

Are you spraying it or brushing ?

Customer:

brushing

Don T. :

Ok, brushing is the best, XXXXX XXXXX brush after I spray just to work the stain into the wood.

You should be good to go, it certainly won't hurt if you want to wait a day if its not going to rain again, but you won't have any problem if you do it tommorow

Customer:

Looks like 30% chance tomorrow, but was hoping to get it in before it rains since rest of week looks worse. How long should I paint before it rains? How early can I start after dawn? I'm in southern ohio.

Customer:

slight chance of rain in morning but if that holds off, should rain tomorrow evening. I should be able to at least get one coat on in a couple of hours.

Customer:

Ok, I really need to go to bed. I'll check back in the morning to finish your rating. Thanks again.

Don T. :

When the air temperature is at 35°F, substrates may be colder; prior to painting,
check to be sure the air, surface, and
material temperature are above 35°F
and at least 5°F above the dew point.
Avoid using if rain or snow is expected
within 2-3 hours.
Do not apply at air or surface temperatures below 35°F or when air or surface
temperatures may drop below 35°F within
48 hours.

This is from application guide

Don T. :

Here is the application guide

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/document/PDS/en/035777515686/

If you don't have any more questions, please issue a positive rating for my help
Thanks

Don, Home Improvement Enthusiast
Experience: 35+year experience in business