Eric M. Bright
Eric M. Bright, We Don't Comprehend the Word Can't!
Experience:  I've been been doing things for my clients that others have said cant be done for over a 1/4 Century
25936098

My garage door will not close unless I hold the button down.

Customer Question

My garage door will not close unless I hold the button down. When the door is up, the sensor lights are off. After I hold the button down to close it, the sensor lights come back on. I've made sure there are no obstacles and that the sensors are aligned properly.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.
When you can close the door with the wall button by holding it down
until it completely closes and the remotes only make the door move
a small amount and the door returns that is the sign of the safety sensor system.
They can easily become mis-aligned due to bumping,twisting and loose mounting.
The safety sensors are located at the door with one on each side facing
each other. Each has its own indicator light.
Sometimes only one has an indicator light, but not as often as both.

You stated with the door open, there are no lights on the door safety sensors.
So, with the door OPEN, see if you can align the safety sensors so that the light/lights come on the sensors.
They need to be aligned when they are OFF or else the door will not close with remotes or just a touch of the wall button.

See if you can move them gently, check wire connections at all locations etc.
The lights need to be on for proper operation.

Please post what you find and we can work from there to resolve the problem.
Once you get the safety sensors lit all the time, (which should always be the case unless there is an obstruction), then do the following.

First item to check is the lights are on both eyes (or one eye, if your system is designed for one only)
and NEVER blink or TURN OFF at anytime when trying the remotes.

Second, if both eyes have lights, then place something between the eyes and
verify whether one of the lights does TURN OFF or BLINK.

If neither turns off or blinks, you have bad eyes and need replacing.
If one turns off (or blinking on some systems), and comes back on when removing the item blocking them,
the eyes sense the blockage and are operating properly.

Then you should be ready to go.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I removed the sensors from each side and held them next to each other and the green and amber leds on the sensors still do not come on.
I do not understand why you clicked a 2 Star rating and we are Not even finished working on the problem.

Is there any confusion on what the Stars represent?

If the Led's do NOT come on as you stated,my Answer was dead on and correct for your problem
You have bad sensors, loose wiring and connections or possibly a bad receiver board.
I explained most of this earlier and it appears I was right now.
What more can I assist with at this point? You expected more?
My answer appears correct!

Please advise so that we can resolve.
Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Look above. All your first and second posts said was to make sure the sensors were aligned properly and to make sure nothing was blocking when I clearly stated in my original post that " I've made sure there are no obstacles and that the sensors are aligned properly." You said nothing about "loose wiring and connections or possibly a bad receiver board"

I did not mention the board before, because that is a rarity.
I did talk about the eyes and how they function, what to check etc.

If they will not align, the eyes are bad, the wiring is loose and/or bad connections.

Read the posts, I posted every bit of the below previously, sorry if you did not read them.

POSTED before:

POSTED before:

POSTED before:
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Again, I clearly stated in my original post that " I've made sure there are no obstacles and that the sensors are aligned properly."
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I read through your conversation with Tommy, and he's correct about the sensors. If they don't light up, you can't properly align them. Tommy's answer was accurate. If the photo eyes DO NOT light up , they are bad or there are loose connections. If you don't mind opting him back in, he can continue helping you. Thank you for using Just Answer!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know how the sensors work. I installed this opener as well as another one. They have both been working well for years. I have in the past knocked the sensors out of alignment so I know what it takes to realign them. I stated in my original post that they were aligned properly and was expecting a more intelligent answer about how to check if they were bad, not a bunch of text about how they can become mis-aligned.
Expert:  Eric M. Bright replied 2 years ago.

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer.com, I am glad you are here! My name is Eric & I will endeavor to answer your question.

.

The absolute first thing to do is for me to ask you to please tell me the manufacture and EXACT model number of your door opener. It is impossible to offer precision troubleshooting without my first knowing that.

.

I am now going to break down your original statement and offer some thoughts and ask some questions of my own. What you wrote will be in Italics, My thoughts will be in bold. Some of what I will say, you will undoubtedly already know, please be patient as I am only reiterating.

.

You stated "My garage door will not close unless I hold the button down.

I ask, will it open with a momentary touch of the button and as well, with the remotes? As others have said, your statement indicates that there is indeed a failure SOMEWHERE in the safety sensor circuit. This could be with the sensors themselves however, taking into consideration ALL you wrote this would not be the first place I would look. It could be in the wiring and it could also be an issue with your logic board which in my experience is not as uncommon as one might expect.

.

You wrote: "When the door is up, the sensor lights are off. After I hold the button down to close it, the sensor lights come back on".

I have read that with the door open you have removed the safety sensors and have held them at close proximity to each other and they still did not light.

If you have NOT already done so, please humor me and do this again this time however, with a NEW SHORT piece of wire connected directly between the safety sensor circuit on the door opener control head (ie: The Motor) and your safety sensors held in your hands standing close to the motor. If the sensors light this time, replace the old wiring between the sensors nd the motor unit. This should solve your problem.

.

If they DO NOT light when re-tested with a new short wire please tell me...

A. "When you press and hold the button to close the door when the safety sensor lights re NOT lit, how far does the door have to close before the lights go back on"?

B. If they go on before the door is all the way closed and you release the button, does the door stop closing?

C. If so, do the lights stay on?

D, If the door does not stop closing and you then tap the button once, does the door then stop closing?

E. If you tap the button once will the door start to reopen and do the lights go off?

F. If you repeat step A nd get to step B but WAIT until the door has traveled 6 + or - inches beyond where the lights come back on and tap the button, ANd the door stops and then you tap the button again let the door start up nd tap it quickly again to get the door to stop again but BELOW the point where the lights were coming on, do they remain on and if so, at this point can you tap the button once again and get the door to finish closing?

.

If the answer to A was that the lights do not go ON again until the door is ALL THE WAY closed.

1. When the door is closed and the lights are on, if you put an object between the sensors do they go off? Or, do they blink? Or, do they remain solid?

2. When do they go off again after you press the button and the door starts to open again?

.

Please keep in mind that just because a set of sensors might be aligned when the door is closed, that does not mean they ALWAYS stay aligned when the door is opened. This is because garage door tracks can flex just enough between the door being open and closed to allow the sensors to become misaligned IF they are actually only just barely in alignment to start.

.

Tell me the answers to all of these questions and as well, the make and model number of your opener and I will attempt to offer you a rational diagnosis.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Very good explaination...it was the wiring.
Thank you! Please take a moment if you will, and rate your satisfaction with my service!
Experience: I've been been doing things for my clients that others have said cant be done for over a 1/4 Century