Eric M. Bright
Eric M. Bright, We Don't Comprehend the Word Can't!
Experience:  I've been been doing things for my clients that others have said cant be done for over a 1/4 Century
25936098

How do I repair crumbling outside chimney bricks. This extends

How do I repair crumbling outside chimney bricks. This extends down from the top of the chimney.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eric M. Bright replied 2 years ago.

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer.com, I am glad you are here! My name is Eric & I will endeavor to answer your question.

.

I am going to need more information please. I have meny questions, thnk you for your patience.

.

A. How old is the house?

B. How old is the chimney if it was built after the house?

C. What part of the country are you in?

D. Is the chimney always shaded by large trees?

E. Is the whole top of the chimney crumbling?

F. Are the bricks all coming loose as whole bricks?

G. Or are the bricks themselves deteriorating?

H. When you go up there, can you poke and prod and feel loose bricks?

I. Or do you suspect just the mortar between the bricks to be failing.

J. What condition is the lower and mid point brickwork?

K. How tall is the chimney?

L. How much of the chimney is crumbling?

.

Photos would be great if you are able to upload some!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Built in 1971. Chimney built with house. Mississippi. No. Yes the whole top is crumbling. No, coming off in layers. Have not plked to feel for loos bricks. This is the only place on the house where we have this problem and the other bricks seem okay. The lower and midpoint seem to be fine. The chimney is approximately 20 feet . The top 1/3.

I rewrote my Qs & your As below for my reference.

A few more clarifications...

1. Is the top 1/3 that is failing right about in line with the roof line, or does it go below it or stop above it?

2. Does the mortar appear to be failing?

3. Are the bricks failing on all four sides of the chimney?

4. Wht size are the bricks

5. Do you know what kind of bricks they are?

*************************************************

A & B. How old is the house? 1971

C. What part of the country are you in? MI

D. Is the chimney always shaded by large trees? NO

E. Is the whole top of the chimney crumbling? Yes the whole top is crumbling.

F. Are the bricks all coming loose as whole bricks? No,

G. Or are the bricks themselves deteriorating? coming off in layers.

H. When you go up there, can you poke and prod and feel loose bricks? IDK

J. What condition is the lower and mid point brickwork? Seem to be fine.

K. How tall is the chimney? 20'

L. How much of the chimney is crumbling? Top 1/3

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1. Slightly below the roof line. 2. No 3. Yes.
In 2000 we painted the bricks on the entire house,

Being that the bricks themselves are failing, this creates a structural safety hazard and you need to remove and replace all of the bricks that are deteriorating. One by one starting at the top working your way down. Trying to repair or patch the existing brick would be like putting a band aid over a condition which requires surgery.

.

Unless you are an experienced brick mason, I would recommend that you contract this work out. Also, depending on your City or County building codes, you may also be required to pull building permits and have inspections for this work.

Experience: I've been been doing things for my clients that others have said cant be done for over a 1/4 Century