Eric M. Bright
Eric M. Bright , We Don't Comprehend the Word Can't!
Experience:  I've been been doing things for my clients that others have said cant be done for over a 1/4 Century
25936098

I have black beetles bugs all in my home this is the first

Customer Question

I have black beetles bugs all in my home this is the first year why
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eric M. Bright replied 4 years ago.

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer.com, I am glad you are here! My name is Eric & I will endeavor to answer your question.

There are many types of beetles. Can you please tell me how big they are and describe it to me? Can you also please tell me the following: Approximately how many you see a day, Where in your home they are, Where you live and when you first started seeing them in your house. Also, please tell me if you have any new flowering landscaping this year that you did not have before and if so, what it is.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well I got some new hibbicus flowers and I have done some new flowering I live in a rural town in the delta of Arkansas. they are medium and big size, they sometimes fly I've seen like 3 to 4 but not every day its just when I see them its alot of them

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I retired for the evening last night before you replied.

.

If you can tell me about how big they are in inches or millimeters that would help me.

.

Can you please also tell me where in your home they are? Are they predominatly in any particular area? When did you first started seeing them in your house?

These could be what are commonly referred to as May Beetles.

Does this look like them?

They are usually about 1" long but can be larger or smaller.

They normaally appear about May orJune.

.

Below is a picture of a Japanese Beetle, though it is not really so black. They also arrive in Late May - early June.

I am trying to identify your beetle.

These guys are only about 1/2" long though.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
They look more like May Bettles

Keeping the beetles out of your home is not the easiest thing to do. You need to make sure that every door threshold sealed 100%, that all of your weather stripping on your doors and windows is intact and that there are no holes in your screens because many species are attracted to lights.

The more I think about it the more I think you are likely to have ground beetles.

Ground beetles belong to the family Carabidae, one of the largest beetle families. The adults vary in length from about 0.1 inch to more than 1 inch. They are usually dark colored, often shiny and somewhat flattened. They tend to be most active at night, with some species highly attracted to lights. During the day they are found under objects on the ground. They are fast runners and it is common to see them moving quickly along the ground.

.

Indoors, they tend to seek hiding places under boxes or other objects on the floor, particularly in moist places such as basements. Though they invading homes three during seasons, they tend to be most active during the time of year when nighttime temperatures drop. The larval stages occur outdoors in the same surroundings as adults, but adults and larvae are not necessarily found together. Both adults and larvae feed primarily on other insects. Because they are predators, they should be considered beneficial.

.

When ground beetles enter homes, it is an accidental invasion. They cannot survive and reproduce there.

.

Control measures indoors usually are not necessary except to hand-pick or vacuum the beetles and return them outdoors. Removing rocks, boards or other objects that ground beetles may hide under from around outside walls discourages beetle accumulation near the home. Caulking cracks and making sure that doors and basement windows fit snugly also helps prevent entry.

.

To help prevent ground beetles from entering homes, spray 2 to 3 feet of the foundation from the ground up, and treat a band around the house from the foundation out about 5 to 10 feet. For these purposes, use a spray of 0.5 percent diazinon or 0.5 percent chlorpyrifos (Dursban®).

Some excerpts of the above by:

Darryl P. Sanders - Department of Entomology - University of Missouri