Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

to close the garage door I have to hold the button down until

to close the garage door I have to hold the button down until it is completely closed. what is the problem
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Brian replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

Sorry to hear about your problem.

This sounds like a problem with the safety sensors; either due to a blocked path between the safety sensors, condensation, mis-alignment, dirty eyes, loose wires at the sensors or at the motor head, or just bad safety sensors. When the infra-red safety sensors are malfunctioning, usually one of the sensor lights will be blinking or a blinking red light will show rather than green or amber. The sensor lights need to be solid and not dim or flickering.

The remotes will not close the garage door; they can only open it. You may find that the door will only move an inch or so in the close direction. When this happens, your garage door will only close by holding down on the wall button until the door fully closes. This method is the only way to override the safety sensors and close the door. This is also a direct clue that the safety sensors are the problem.

Also, try unplugging the garage door opener and re-plugging the unit back into the outlet. This can act as a reset and may reset the sensors. If none of this works then you may have to replace the sensors or possibly the logic board inside the motor unit.

If you need further help or clarification on this answer, please do not hesitate to reply to this post.

Thanks for asking your question at Just Answer.

Best of Luck, Brian

Please leave feedback at your convenience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried unplugging and replugging the unit back in but that did not fix it. I also notice that the lights on both sensors are not on. does this mean the sensors are defective or is that an indication the wiring is bad.
Expert:  Brian replied 2 years ago.
Yes. The sending eye should always be on regardless. The receiving eye goes out when they are not aligned. You could check the wire connections and make sure they are not loose. You can also bypass the existing wiring with temporary wires straight to the motor unit to see if there is a short in the existing wiring. If none of this helps, the sensors may be bad and you could try replacing them.
Brian, Architect
Experience: Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP